Canadian Trials
06/26/2012 8:34:58 AM
User
Was just glancing at the entry lists for the Trials starting this week, and one event caught my eye - the Women's 10,000. It seems a bit sad in an Olympic year, we only have 4 entries in an event at the National Championships. And while you can only beat who shows up - is Leslie Sexton just looking to pad her stats? Why not enter the 5,000 and actually have a race vs. time trialing the 10,000. She won last year without any real competition, but elects not to defend her title against Korir (McKay), Brown, Reid, and Metcalfe? Even with altitude it seems like she could get dragged to a PB.
Was just glancing at the entry lists for the Trials starting this week, and one event caught my eye - the Women's 10,000. It seems a bit sad in an Olympic year, we only have 4 entries in an event at the National Championships. And while you can only beat who shows up - is Leslie Sexton just looking to pad her stats? Why not enter the 5,000 and actually have a race vs. time trialing the 10,000. She won last year without any real competition, but elects not to defend her title against Korir (McKay), Brown, Reid, and Metcalfe? Even with altitude it seems like she could get dragged to a PB.
06/26/2012 3:24:13 PM
User
@jpcollection OK, I'll bite. (If you haven't clicked on my profile, this is Leslie) Leading up to the past two Canadian Championships, I've considered the 10,000m my better event and wanted to race it but instead I opted for the 5,000m because it was more competitive. In 2010 I was actually entered in the 10,000m and had intended to race it until registration closed, I saw that only one other person was entered, and I scratched the event and did the 5000m because the 10,000m would have been a waste of time. This year my coach and I sat down and decided that this year I would finally follow through on running in the 10,000m. The hope was that my running the 10k would help to build the field this year. I have no right to complain how weak the 10,000m is at nationals if I am constantly opting to do the 5,000m instead -- doing so would be contributing to the problem instead of simply running the thing and becoming a part of the solution. That was the rationale, anyway. I can handle criticism, but it seems misdirected here. Why not call out some faster female 10k runners in the country who haven't bothered to show up for the past few years?
@jpcollection

OK, I'll bite. (If you haven't clicked on my profile, this is Leslie)

Leading up to the past two Canadian Championships, I've considered the 10,000m my better event and wanted to race it but instead I opted for the 5,000m because it was more competitive. In 2010 I was actually entered in the 10,000m and had intended to race it until registration closed, I saw that only one other person was entered, and I scratched the event and did the 5000m because the 10,000m would have been a waste of time. This year my coach and I sat down and decided that this year I would finally follow through on running in the 10,000m. The hope was that my running the 10k would help to build the field this year. I have no right to complain how weak the 10,000m is at nationals if I am constantly opting to do the 5,000m instead -- doing so would be contributing to the problem instead of simply running the thing and becoming a part of the solution.

That was the rationale, anyway. I can handle criticism, but it seems misdirected here. Why not call out some faster female 10k runners in the country who haven't bothered to show up for the past few years?
06/26/2012 3:46:36 PM
User
@jpcollection It must be a misprint. Sexton doesn't run the 10k.
@jpcollection

It must be a misprint. Sexton doesn't run the 10k.
06/26/2012 3:49:11 PM
User
Also, I wanted to draw attention to something you said: "It seems a bit sad in an Olympic year, we only have 4 entries in an event at the National Championships." "Why not enter the 5,000 and actually have a race vs. time trialing the 10,000." Are you sure you thought this through?
Also, I wanted to draw attention to something you said:

"It seems a bit sad in an Olympic year, we only have 4 entries in an event at the National Championships."

"Why not enter the 5,000 and actually have a race vs. time trialing the 10,000."

Are you sure you thought this through?
06/26/2012 5:26:24 PM
Power User
In an effort to self-promote Athletics Illustrated in the most gregarious fashion possible, I bring you this: 5000m Canadian Track and Field Championships preview - men's and women's: http://athleticsillustrated.com/editorial/preview-canadian-olympic-trials-5000m/ Also, there are the 1500m previews and a women's only 800m preview....
In an effort to self-promote Athletics Illustrated in the most gregarious fashion possible, I bring you this:

5000m Canadian Track and Field Championships preview - men's and women's:

http://athleticsillustrated.com/editorial/preview-canadian-olympic-trials-5000m/

Also, there are the 1500m previews and a women's only 800m preview....
06/26/2012 5:46:41 PM
User
[quote=benjaminburr]Also, I wanted to draw attention to something you said: "It seems a bit sad in an Olympic year, we only have 4 entries in an event at the National Championships." "Why not enter the 5,000 and actually have a race vs. time trialing the 10,000." Are you sure you thought this through?[/quote] @benjaminburr Two different people.
benjaminburr wrote:
Also, I wanted to draw attention to something you said:

"It seems a bit sad in an Olympic year, we only have 4 entries in an event at the National Championships."

"Why not enter the 5,000 and actually have a race vs. time trialing the 10,000."

@benjaminburr

Two different people.
06/26/2012 5:55:20 PM
Coach
[quote=bryano]benjaminburrAlso, I wanted to draw attention to something you said: "It seems a bit sad in an Olympic year, we only have 4 entries in an event at the National Championships." "Why not enter the 5,000 and actually have a race vs. time trialing the 10,000." Are you sure you thought this through? @benjaminburr Two different people.[/quote] @bryano [img]http://i.imgur.com/b6NsQ.gif[/img]
bryano wrote:
enjaminburrAlso, I wanted to draw attention to something you said:

@benjaminburr

Two different people.

@bryano

06/26/2012 10:05:22 PM
User
@triplezero Leslie why not just tell them you'll kill it and call it a day?
@triplezero Leslie why not just tell them you'll kill it and call it a day?
06/26/2012 10:44:55 PM
Coach
[quote=triplezero]@jpcollection OK, I'll bite. (If you haven't clicked on my profile, this is Leslie) Leading up to the past two Canadian Championships, I've considered the 10,000m my better event and wanted to race it but instead I opted for the 5,000m because it was more competitive. In 2010 I was actually entered in the 10,000m and had intended to race it until registration closed, I saw that only one other person was entered, and I scratched the event and did the 5000m because the 10,000m would have been a waste of time. This year my coach and I sat down and decided that this year I would finally follow through on running in the 10,000m. The hope was that my running the 10k would help to build the field this year. I have no right to complain how weak the 10,000m is at nationals if I am constantly opting to do the 5,000m instead -- doing so would be contributing to the problem instead of simply running the thing and becoming a part of the solution. That was the rationale, anyway. I can handle criticism, but it seems misdirected here. Why not call out some faster female 10k runners in the country who haven't bothered to show up for the past few years?[/quote] @triplezero Excellent answer. You wouldn't happen to be Queen's grad, now would you?;-)
riplezero wrote:
@jpcollection

OK, I'll bite. (If you haven't clicked on my profile, this is Leslie)

Leading up to the past two Canadian Championships, I've considered the 10,000m my better event and wanted to race it but instead I opted for the 5,000m because it was more competitive. In 2010 I was actually entered in the 10,000m and had intended to race it until registration closed, I saw that only one other person was entered, and I scratched the event and did the 5000m because the 10,000m would have been a waste of time. This year my coach and I sat down and decided that this year I would finally follow through on running in the 10,000m. The hope was that my running the 10k would help to build the field this year. I have no right to complain how weak the 10,000m is at nationals if I am constantly opting to do the 5,000m instead -- doing so would be contributing to the problem instead of simply running the thing and becoming a part of the solution.

That was the rationale, anyway. I can handle criticism, but it seems misdirected here. Why not call out some faster female 10k runners in the country who haven't bothered to show up for the past few years?

@triplezero Excellent answer. You wouldn't happen to be Queen's grad, now would you?
06/26/2012 11:06:20 PM
User
Have a good run, Leslie!
Have a good run, Leslie!
06/27/2012 10:44:26 PM
User
@triplezero and others The fields are weak because the 10k scene for post collegiate women is essentially non-existent. I don't know why that is, but as Oldster has pointed out before, basically everyone seems to compete at the 1500m distance, with a massive void from 5k and up. Luckily with Reid, Eric, Dylan, and now Lanni and Krista in the Marathon, and with Cam and Mo in the 5k and 10k for men, hopefully this will inspire others. That said, while the trials are at altitude, I can't see anyone really wanting to race a 10k. Which is why I wondered what the point was of being entered - having read your blog you seem to want to be competitive, and race and mix it up in the sub-elite field, which is awesome, we need more post-collegiate women doing that - but it just struck me as an easy shot at a medal. Having looked at results, it would appear I was right - everyone who finished is on the podium. Granted, you can only beat the people that show up to the start line, I just think there would be more merit in racing the 5k and actually competing rather than being crowned National Champion in a race with no one in it.
@triplezero and others

The fields are weak because the 10k scene for post collegiate women is essentially non-existent. I don't know why that is, but as Oldster has pointed out before, basically everyone seems to compete at the 1500m distance, with a massive void from 5k and up. Luckily with Reid, Eric, Dylan, and now Lanni and Krista in the Marathon, and with Cam and Mo in the 5k and 10k for men, hopefully this will inspire others.

That said, while the trials are at altitude, I can't see anyone really wanting to race a 10k. Which is why I wondered what the point was of being entered - having read your blog you seem to want to be competitive, and race and mix it up in the sub-elite field, which is awesome, we need more post-collegiate women doing that - but it just struck me as an easy shot at a medal. Having looked at results, it would appear I was right - everyone who finished is on the podium.

Granted, you can only beat the people that show up to the start line, I just think there would be more merit in racing the 5k and actually competing rather than being crowned National Champion in a race with no one in it.
06/28/2012 7:06:39 AM
User
[quote=jpcollection]Granted, you can only beat the people that show up to the start line, I just think there would be more merit in racing the 5k and actually competing rather than being crowned National Champion in a race with no one in it.[/quote] @jpcollection Did you even read the response that Leslie wrote? If you did, and comprehended it, writing this is trolling for further reaction.
jpcollection wrote:
Granted, you can only beat the people that show up to the start line, I just think there would be more merit in racing the 5k and actually competing rather than being crowned National Champion in a race with no one in it.

@jpcollection
Did you even read the response that Leslie wrote? If you did, and comprehended it, writing this is trolling for further reaction.
06/28/2012 10:16:48 AM
User
@cosmicassassin I did - I was just reiterating my opinion and further clarifying the whole point of my post, not trolling.
@cosmicassassin

I did - I was just reiterating my opinion and further clarifying the whole point of my post, not trolling.
06/28/2012 12:58:41 PM
User
@jpcollection The 5k fields should have entered the 1500m, amirite? Why bother running the event you've trained for all year, are better at, or really want to run when you could have more competition in another one? Especially when you could run something shorter! I have an idea. Let's complain some more that no one runs an event and then criticize whoever runs it. Here is what you're saying, broken down into small sentences, because you are contradicting yourself and don't seem to understand that: 1. The 10k fields are weak. 2. The fields for shorter distances are more competitive, so people should run those. 3. People should run longer distances (except that they shouldn't; they should run shorter distances, because those are more competitive). 4. Hopefully our top marathoners can inspire some people to compete in longer distances... 5. As long as they don't inspire Leslie Sexton, Bevin Kennelly, Grace Kary, and Hilary Quirion. Those women in particular should not run longer distances or be inspired to compete at them.
@jpcollection The 5k fields should have entered the 1500m, amirite? Why bother running the event you've trained for all year, are better at, or really want to run when you could have more competition in another one? Especially when you could run something shorter! I have an idea. Let's complain some more that no one runs an event and then criticize whoever runs it.

Here is what you're saying, broken down into small sentences, because you are contradicting yourself and don't seem to understand that:
1. The 10k fields are weak.
2. The fields for shorter distances are more competitive, so people should run those.
3. People should run longer distances (except that they shouldn't; they should run shorter distances, because those are more competitive).
4. Hopefully our top marathoners can inspire some people to compete in longer distances...
5. As long as they don't inspire Leslie Sexton, Bevin Kennelly, Grace Kary, and Hilary Quirion. Those women in particular should not run longer distances or be inspired to compete at them.
06/28/2012 1:37:45 PM
Coach
[quote=jpcollection]...She won last year without any real competition, but elects not to defend her title against Korir (McKay), Brown, Reid, and Metcalfe? Even with altitude it seems like she could get dragged to a PB.[/quote] @jpcollection She won the 5,000m last year having been ranked 6th on the start list; 2 scratched (due to injury?), leaving Leslie ranked 4th on the start line. Saying she won without any real competition is bullshit. She intends to run a 5,000m PB on July 6th in London, ON. [quote=jpcollection]That said, while the trials are at altitude, I can't see anyone really wanting to race a 10k....Having looked at results, it would appear I was right - everyone who finished is on the podium. [/quote] @jpcollection Leslie has clearly stated that she wanted to race the 10,000m at Canadian Championships, and backed that up by competing at the Ontario 10,000m Championships 3 years in a row. Last night, she ran the best 10,000m performance of either gender from either 2011-2012 trials, according to Mercier/IAAF tables; she didn't race just to win or medal. You couldn't possibly have picked a worse person to 'call out' for racing the Canadian 10,000m Championships.
jpcollection wrote:
...She won last year without any real competition, but elects not to defend her title against Korir (McKay), Brown, Reid, and Metcalfe? Even with altitude it seems like she could get dragged to a PB.

@jpcollection She won the 5,000m last year having been ranked 6th on the start list; 2 scratched (due to injury?), leaving Leslie ranked 4th on the start line. Saying she won without any real competition is bullshit.

She intends to run a 5,000m PB on July 6th in London, ON.

jpcollection wrote:
That said, while the trials are at altitude, I can't see anyone really wanting to race a 10k....Having looked at results, it would appear I was right - everyone who finished is on the podium.

@jpcollection Leslie has clearly stated that she wanted to race the 10,000m at Canadian Championships, and backed that up by competing at the Ontario 10,000m Championships 3 years in a row. Last night, she ran the best 10,000m performance of either gender from either 2011-2012 trials, according to Mercier/IAAF tables; she didn't race just to win or medal.

You couldn't possibly have picked a worse person to 'call out' for racing the Canadian 10,000m Championships.
06/28/2012 5:51:23 PM
User
How to troll on TnF North. 1. Post something: (a) completely stupid or (b) your perspective on a fact or event (may be subjective)... can be known as an ``opinion``. You are done. Next, enjoy a range of responses from: 1. The sensical historian type: Will counter with various facts contrary to the post. 2. The target of the trolling. Usually will explain their position, not offended and generally not giving a crap. 3. The proverbial ``parent`` type. May or may not ignore the target`s balanced and satisfactory response and counter with an over the top retort. Often has the idea in mind that said target is ``Mother`s unigue little snowflake`` and should be defended at all costs. 4. Dr. Heartons type: ``I don`t have anything to add to this thread, but I wanted you all to know something that is totally obvious to everyone and that I heart running. 5. Someone posts with no reference to the topic with a simple ``Good luck, run great``. Said poster may not add to the trolling, but sure makes the trolled individuals look even more foolish. Remember, it is not trolling on TnF North if: 1. Someone points out some kind of trolling attempt. True trolling attempts here are never actually pointed out. 2. Multiple club members are NOT present in the tread. There must be at least 2 from the same club countering the argument to satisfy the requirement of making said club look like fools.
How to troll on TnF North.

1. Post something:
(a) completely stupid
or
(b) your perspective on a fact or event (may be subjective)... can be known as an ``opinion``.

You are done. Next, enjoy a range of responses from:

1. The sensical historian type: Will counter with various facts contrary to the post.
2. The target of the trolling. Usually will explain their position, not offended and generally not giving a crap.
3. The proverbial ``parent`` type. May or may not ignore the target`s balanced and satisfactory response and counter with an over the top retort. Often has the idea in mind that said target is ``Mother`s unigue little snowflake`` and should be defended at all costs.
4. Dr. Heartons type: ``I don`t have anything to add to this thread, but I wanted you all to know something that is totally obvious to everyone and that I heart running.
5. Someone posts with no reference to the topic with a simple ``Good luck, run great``. Said poster may not add to the trolling, but sure makes the trolled individuals look even more foolish.

Remember, it is not trolling on TnF North if:

1. Someone points out some kind of trolling attempt. True trolling attempts here are never actually pointed out.
2. Multiple club members are NOT present in the tread. There must be at least 2 from the same club countering the argument to satisfy the requirement of making said club look like fools.
06/29/2012 9:55:37 AM
User
Zelinka got a new Canadian record last night......puts her in the top 5 in the world....very competitive shot at a medal this year for her!
Zelinka got a new Canadian record last night......puts her in the top 5 in the world....very competitive shot at a medal this year for her!
06/29/2012 5:10:46 PM
User
Any reason this entire meet is not streamed live?
Any reason this entire meet is not streamed live?
06/29/2012 9:20:34 PM
User
@gazoo You missed something there. Oh wait, I never post anymore. Jk.
@gazoo

You missed something there. Oh wait, I never post anymore. Jk.
06/30/2012 1:23:02 PM
User
@speedgoggles Again, the distance events in Calgary are extremely slow. When the meet is held in Calgary, no one is even going to try to get standard. It seems that AC has to give some more incentive for runners to want to run at Nationals for sub carding level athletes. It is expensive, and you will not run fast, so many are deciding to run their 1500, 5000 or 10000 elsewhere.
@speedgoggles

Again, the distance events in Calgary are extremely slow. When the meet is held in Calgary, no one is even going to try to get standard. It seems that AC has to give some more incentive for runners to want to run at Nationals for sub carding level athletes. It is expensive, and you will not run fast, so many are deciding to run their 1500, 5000 or 10000 elsewhere.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.