Genest and Proudfoot both break CIS 3000m record
02/11/2012 4:08:07 PM
User
Sorry - I was a bit too fast with that post - apparently the converted times work out to 8:00, just outside the record. Still, some solid runs!
Sorry - I was a bit too fast with that post - apparently the converted times work out to 8:00, just outside the record. Still, some solid runs!
02/12/2012 7:30:09 AM
User
What makes the current record so impressive was the Scheibler did it on a 200m track and it was a solo job from start to finish.(1996 CIAU Championships) If i remember correctly, he lapped second place and won by at least 20 seconds.
What makes the current record so impressive was the Scheibler did it on a 200m track and it was a solo job from start to finish.(1996 CIAU Championships) If i remember correctly, he lapped second place and won by at least 20 seconds.
02/12/2012 8:40:54 AM
Power User
@djermyn What do you mean by converted times?
@djermyn

What do you mean by converted times?
02/12/2012 12:00:37 PM
User
[quote=coachc1]@djermyn What do you mean by converted times?[/quote] @coachc1 It was a 300m track so you add 3 seconds to convert it to a 200m time https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http%3A%2F%2Fsportingcanada.com%2Ftf%2Fresults%2FTF-Ranking-Men-11AM.pdf
coachc1 wrote:
@djermyn

What do you mean by converted times?

@coachc1

It was a 300m track so you add 3 seconds to convert it to a 200m time

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http%3A%2F%2Fsportingcanada.com%2Ftf%2Fresults%2FTF-Ranking-Men-11AM.pdf
02/12/2012 1:01:43 PM
Power User
Thanks I didn't know the track was 300m.
Thanks I didn't know the track was 300m.
02/12/2012 3:38:09 PM
User
@oiram Logic says he never lapped second place if he was any less than 32 seconds faster than second place, unless they both had a twenty second two hundred meter, for the last lap of Schiebler and the second last lap of said second place. On that note i call shenanigans.
@oiram
Logic says he never lapped second place if he was any less than 32 seconds faster than second place, unless they both had a twenty second two hundred meter, for the last lap of Schiebler and the second last lap of said second place. On that note i call shenanigans.
02/12/2012 6:43:54 PM
User
Definitely no lapping as Rob Tyndall of Western was 2nd to Schiebler at the 1996 CIAU Champs held in Windsor running 8:19.68.
Definitely no lapping as Rob Tyndall of Western was 2nd to Schiebler at the 1996 CIAU Champs held in Windsor running 8:19.68.
02/13/2012 12:18:00 AM
User
@djermyn Schiebler's 7:59 is only the CIS meet record, though. Williams went 7:54 at OUA's in 1979, which I think is still the fastest ever in-season time for a CIS athlete.
@djermyn

Schiebler's 7:59 is only the CIS meet record, though. Williams went 7:54 at OUA's in 1979, which I think is still the fastest ever in-season time for a CIS athlete.
02/13/2012 7:06:39 PM
Coach
@JungleJack 1979!? Was he barefoot and running in some kind of crude, animal-hide garment? Was the track made of tree bark lashed together with the dried gut of a thousand Sabre-toothed Tigers? Was this timed using the pulse rate of a ground squirrel? Was he competing for Unibrow University (the Fighting Neanderthals-- not to be, but still quite often, confused with Notre Dame University)? This is an old record.
@JungleJack 1979!? Was he barefoot and running in some kind of crude, animal-hide garment? Was the track made of tree bark lashed together with the dried gut of a thousand Sabre-toothed Tigers? Was this timed using the pulse rate of a ground squirrel? Was he competing for Unibrow University (the Fighting Neanderthals-- not to be, but still quite often, confused with Notre Dame University)?

This is an old record.
02/13/2012 11:12:36 PM
User
This pretty sums it up - mastodons were used by all to get to the event, the track was in the shade of the retreating ice-sheets. I recall watching a high school kid, Ian Clark, chasing Williams around and around that day - perhaps I have mixed-up memories? Clark ran 8:06 if I have the day right (on that crazy-loud board track somewhere down in the CNE grounds-area).
This pretty sums it up - mastodons were used by all to get to the event, the track was in the shade of the retreating ice-sheets.

I recall watching a high school kid, Ian Clark, chasing Williams around and around that day - perhaps I have mixed-up memories? Clark ran 8:06 if I have the day right (on that crazy-loud board track somewhere down in the CNE grounds-area).
02/14/2012 2:07:30 PM
Coach
[quote=christ17]This pretty sums it up - mastodons were used by all to get to the event, the track was in the shade of the retreating ice-sheets. I recall watching a high school kid, Ian Clark, chasing Williams around and around that day - perhaps I have mixed-up memories? Clark ran 8:06 if I have the day right (on that crazy-loud board track somewhere down in the CNE grounds-area).[/quote] @christ17 Ian actually ran 8:04 that day. Young minds were certainly blown when we saw that result-- 3 weeks later, when it came out on a stone tablet, delivered on a cart using the first wheels ever devised.
christ17 wrote:
This pretty sums it up - mastodons were used by all to get to the event, the track was in the shade of the retreating ice-sheets.

I recall watching a high school kid, Ian Clark, chasing Williams around and around that day - perhaps I have mixed-up memories? Clark ran 8:06 if I have the day right (on that crazy-loud board track somewhere down in the CNE grounds-area).

@christ17 Ian actually ran 8:04 that day. Young minds were certainly blown when we saw that result-- 3 weeks later, when it came out on a stone tablet, delivered on a cart using the first wheels ever devised.
02/16/2012 7:05:16 PM
Power User
[quote=oldster] Was this timed using the pulse rate of a ground squirrel?[/quote] @oldster I have heard this method of timing is not reliable unless you have a close relationship with the squirrel. They tend to get skittish around strangers.
ldster wrote:
Was this timed using the pulse rate of a ground squirrel?

@oldster

I have heard this method of timing is not reliable unless you have a close relationship with the squirrel. They tend to get skittish around strangers.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.