Article Comment: TnfNorth Interview with Rob Guy
03/09/2011 2:25:37 PM
Power User
I like this quote:

"We have a great coach with great athletes and its nothing more than personalities and egos preventing athletes from being successful. That’s the thing we have to fix. We can’t have people worrying about whose going to get credit for an athlete."

Also, not to open the whole can of worms, but his comments on the location-based carding criteria, as well as the age-based criteria, are good. He's open to change, but he's got a realistic look at the situation.
I like this quote:

"We have a great coach with great athletes and its nothing more than personalities and egos preventing athletes from being successful. That's the thing we have to fix. We can't have people worrying about whose going to get credit for an athlete."

Also, not to open the whole can of worms, but his comments on the location-based carding criteria, as well as the age-based criteria, are good. He's open to change, but he's got a realistic look at the situation.
03/10/2011 12:47:14 AM
Coach
@Stingersxc Agreed. He comes across as thoughtful, reasonable, and refreshingly jargon-free (what must this guy think when reads something by, e.g., Martin Goulet, whose sports admin-speak renders me homicidal)? The structural constraints under which AC operates still doom it to near irrelevance when it comes to the thing that matters most in the sport today-- grassroots development-- but it's nice to see some potentially good leadership. And thanks to Andrew for asking the right questions (few punches pulled here, which was refreshing).
@Stingersxc Agreed. He comes across as thoughtful, reasonable, and refreshingly jargon-free (what must this guy think when reads something by, e.g., Martin Goulet, whose sports admin-speak renders me homicidal)? The structural constraints under which AC operates still doom it to near irrelevance when it comes to the thing that matters most in the sport today-- grassroots development-- but it's nice to see some potentially good leadership. And thanks to Andrew for asking the right questions (few punches pulled here, which was refreshing).
03/15/2011 8:24:35 PM
User
Interesting article I read some good things, like the willingness to change. But there are some of the same old lines like "We've got good coaches." Look, most of the employed coaches have been around taking money from Athletics Canada for years. They seem unaccountable and many would have been let go years ago for non-performance. But since Athletics Canada is doing everything possible to feed talented athletes to these coaches, it is hard to evaluate their performance. We evaluate coaches' performance on how fast their athlete's are and little else, yet we create policies to enhance their ability to latch onto all the top athletes. Other coaches have no chance to progress through the system. It is this same club of coaches and administrators feeding off each other and they've been doing it for years. One other thing is that we've got many of these coaches in the system who were part of the performance enhancing drug chapter of Canadian Athletics. It seems as if they have been given preference when applying for coaching positions. In Canada we are still impressed with people who have had success or have been part of a successful ped group in the past (both in the mid-70s overseas and in Canada in the mid 80s). We need to re-look at how we do things. I hope Rob Guy can be that person.
Interesting article

I read some good things, like the willingness to change. But there are some of the same old lines like "We've got good coaches." Look, most of the employed coaches have been around taking money from Athletics Canada for years. They seem unaccountable and many would have been let go years ago for non-performance.

But since Athletics Canada is doing everything possible to feed talented athletes to these coaches, it is hard to evaluate their performance. We evaluate coaches' performance on how fast their athlete's are and little else, yet we create policies to enhance their ability to latch onto all the top athletes. Other coaches have no chance to progress through the system. It is this same club of coaches and administrators feeding off each other and they've been doing it for years.

One other thing is that we've got many of these coaches in the system who were part of the performance enhancing drug chapter of Canadian Athletics. It seems as if they have been given preference when applying for coaching positions. In Canada we are still impressed with people who have had success or have been part of a successful ped group in the past (both in the mid-70s overseas and in Canada in the mid 80s).

We need to re-look at how we do things. I hope Rob Guy can be that person.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.