War Refugee runs in Canada
10/20/2010 7:00:50 PM
User
http://nchighschoolxc.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2010-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-08%3A00&updated-max=2011-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-08%3A00&max-results=5 This guy came to Canada runs 29:20 and is 17 He qualified for OFSAA by beating Adam Palamer by 1:29 Any thoughts?
http://nchighschoolxc.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2010-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-08%3A00&updated-max=2011-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-08%3A00&max-results=5

This guy came to Canada runs 29:20 and is 17
He qualified for OFSAA by beating Adam Palamer by 1:29
Any thoughts?
10/20/2010 7:27:10 PM
User
He's obviously not 17, you can look at the picture and tell that http://nchighschoolxc.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2010-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-08%3A00&updated-max=2011-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-08%3A00&max-results=5 He shouldn't be allowed to run we just had a guy at our school get denied the right to run at OFSAA because he wasn't deemed eligible when he had a very good case as to why he should. I am sure there are many others out there that are in similar situations. He was on the Rwandan National Junior team so he shouldn't be declared a refugee he obviously wasn't being persecuted as he was chosen to represent his Country at a world event. Also if he just registered at the school this week he should not be able to run anyways as 1) he wouldn't have the minimum practices required by OFSAA, 2) There is no way he could have gone through the eligibility process in that short of time. In my opinion he shouldn't be allowed to run. It's not just because he is good its just that rules seem to be being bent for this and I don't feel they should as others do not have the privilege of OFSAA rules not being adhered to.
He's obviously not 17, you can look at the picture and tell that
http://nchighschoolxc.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2010-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-08%3A00&updated-max=2011-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-08%3A00&max-results=5
He shouldn't be allowed to run we just had a guy at our school get denied the right to run at OFSAA because he wasn't deemed eligible when he had a very good case as to why he should. I am sure there are many others out there that are in similar situations. He was on the Rwandan National Junior team so he shouldn't be declared a refugee he obviously wasn't being persecuted as he was chosen to represent his Country at a world event. Also if he just registered at the school this week he should not be able to run anyways as 1) he wouldn't have the minimum practices required by OFSAA, 2) There is no way he could have gone through the eligibility process in that short of time. In my opinion he shouldn't be allowed to run. It's not just because he is good its just that rules seem to be being bent for this and I don't feel they should as others do not have the privilege of OFSAA rules not being adhered to.
10/20/2010 7:34:10 PM
User
Here is a joke: Ofsaa transfer policy.
Here is a joke:

Ofsaa transfer policy.
10/20/2010 7:38:05 PM
User
@speedgoggles True. Rob Asselstine can't run because he transferred to get a full course load, but some Rwandan can step in with a week of practices, and go right ahead? Such bs.
@speedgoggles

True. Rob Asselstine can't run because he transferred to get a full course load, but some Rwandan can step in with a week of practices, and go right ahead? Such bs.
10/20/2010 7:42:48 PM
Power User
If he's allowed to compete at OFSAA it will mean the 16 practice rule has absolutely no validity. It would be interesting to see if anyone from OFSAA who may at times view these pages were to comment. I also don't understand how he could possible have even gone through the eligibility process if he just started school a week ago.
If he's allowed to compete at OFSAA it will mean the 16 practice rule has absolutely no validity. It would be interesting to see if anyone from OFSAA who may at times view these pages were to comment. I also don't understand how he could possible have even gone through the eligibility process if he just started school a week ago.
10/20/2010 8:08:24 PM
User
[quote=canadian800]He's obviously not 17, you can look at the picture and tell that nchighschoolxc.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=201.... He shouldn't be allowed to run we just had a guy at our school get denied the right to run at OFSAA because he wasn't deemed eligible when he had a very good case as to why he should. I am sure there are many others out there that are in similar situations. He was on the Rwandan National Junior team so he shouldn't be declared a refugee he obviously wasn't being persecuted as he was chosen to represent his Country at a world event. Also if he just registered at the school this week he should not be able to run anyways as 1) he wouldn't have the minimum practices required by OFSAA, 2) There is no way he could have gone through the eligibility process in that short of time. In my opinion he shouldn't be allowed to run. It's not just because he is good its just that rules seem to be being bent for this and I don't feel they should as others do not have the privilege of OFSAA rules not being adhered to.[/quote] @canadian800 "he obviously wasn't being persecuted" you really need to stop being ignorant, just because you don't know if hes being persecuted doesn't mean he isn't. The kid lost both of his parents due to tribalism (Hutu father, and a Tutsi mother). The issue is still very relevant today and just because you are unaware doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
canadian800 wrote:
He's obviously not 17, you can look at the picture and tell that
nchighschoolxc.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=201....
He shouldn't be allowed to run we just had a guy at our school get denied the right to run at OFSAA because he wasn't deemed eligible when he had a very good case as to why he should. I am sure there are many others out there that are in similar situations. He was on the Rwandan National Junior team so he shouldn't be declared a refugee he obviously wasn't being persecuted as he was chosen to represent his Country at a world event. Also if he just registered at the school this week he should not be able to run anyways as 1) he wouldn't have the minimum practices required by OFSAA, 2) There is no way he could have gone through the eligibility process in that short of time. In my opinion he shouldn't be allowed to run. It's not just because he is good its just that rules seem to be being bent for this and I don't feel they should as others do not have the privilege of OFSAA rules not being adhered to.

@canadian800

"he obviously wasn't being persecuted" you really need to stop being ignorant, just because you don't know if hes being persecuted doesn't mean he isn't. The kid lost both of his parents due to tribalism (Hutu father, and a Tutsi mother). The issue is still very relevant today and just because you are unaware doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
10/20/2010 8:22:48 PM
User
I'm not being ignorant, the fact is that he would not be allowed to run on a national team or train at the level he has been if he was being persecuted. Yes he is from a war torn country, and his parents were killed. I am also aware that they were killed when he was a baby which was likely more than 16 years ago. The fact that he has been able to accomplish what he has shows that he was living a "privileged" life compared to the majority of those living in his country as he was able to train, and eat well enough to achieve his accomplishments. The country had to be supporting him to send him to Canada for the World Juniors as well as the Youth Olympics which he was also supposed to compete in. My main complaint is that he should not be eligible to compete.
I'm not being ignorant, the fact is that he would not be allowed to run on a national team or train at the level he has been if he was being persecuted. Yes he is from a war torn country, and his parents were killed. I am also aware that they were killed when he was a baby which was likely more than 16 years ago. The fact that he has been able to accomplish what he has shows that he was living a "privileged" life compared to the majority of those living in his country as he was able to train, and eat well enough to achieve his accomplishments. The country had to be supporting him to send him to Canada for the World Juniors as well as the Youth Olympics which he was also supposed to compete in. My main complaint is that he should not be eligible to compete.
10/20/2010 8:39:15 PM
User
being that i am a runner and am being sidelined this ofsaa xc, it gives me the oppurtunity to look at this situation in two ways. as a runner competing at ofsaa, you look at this situation and say well this isnt fair because he has only been in canada for so long and is a definite threat of winning ofsaa. but as a spectator, you can also look at it and say well living in rwanda, you arent given the same oppurtunities as you get in canada, and everyone living in canada deserves the same oppurtunity as everyone else. but then that brings up the question up of my friend rob asselstine. he transefered schools because his old school wouldnt give him courses. he didnt get ofsaa eligibilty which in my opinion is unfair. what ofsaa should be doing is allowing anyone run no matter what situation you are in because it is about the athlete and student going to the next step in life. When you do not let a kid run, ur just taking away his oppurtunity to move forward. sure winning ofsaa is a big deal for a high school runner, but being first is not always gonna get you to a scholarship, its the times. if ur times are good, schools will bite. just my opinion, Harrison sloan.
being that i am a runner and am being sidelined this ofsaa xc, it gives me the oppurtunity to look at this situation in two ways. as a runner competing at ofsaa, you look at this situation and say well this isnt fair because he has only been in canada for so long and is a definite threat of winning ofsaa. but as a spectator, you can also look at it and say well living in rwanda, you arent given the same oppurtunities as you get in canada, and everyone living in canada deserves the same oppurtunity as everyone else. but then that brings up the question up of my friend rob asselstine. he transefered schools because his old school wouldnt give him courses. he didnt get ofsaa eligibilty which in my opinion is unfair. what ofsaa should be doing is allowing anyone run no matter what situation you are in because it is about the athlete and student going to the next step in life. When you do not let a kid run, ur just taking away his oppurtunity to move forward. sure winning ofsaa is a big deal for a high school runner, but being first is not always gonna get you to a scholarship, its the times. if ur times are good, schools will bite.
just my opinion, Harrison sloan.
10/20/2010 8:39:58 PM
User
New Preds: Yves Sikubwabo ftw there is no way somebody will beat this guy if he beat adam palamar by 1:28 but i'd agree it's not fair
New Preds:

Yves Sikubwabo ftw

there is no way somebody will beat this guy if he beat adam palamar by 1:28

but i'd agree it's not fair
10/20/2010 9:10:43 PM
Coach
Their's two sides to every coin and both Mr Cunliffe and Sloan have made valid points. I personally feel that a lot of have and continue to look at this very negatively and to no fault of Yves Sikubwabo. Some believe that the Canadian immigration system is fair and generous. It isn't. Many immigrants sacrifice themselves and their aspirations for the betterment of a new life. New education and a place where he sees a future past tomorrow! We are forgetting Rwanda is a war torn country as well. Now I also understand the debate here is not about the fact that he is staying in Canada but the fact that he is competing in the Ontario Federal Sports Athletics Association (including any subgroups of that). To some extent to do agree with the postings that OFSAA needs to get its priorities straight with the way it handles ineligibility having being ineligible my self and waiting close to a month for appeal to go through 4 years ago. I know many of the athletes competing are discourage and disagreeing with his eligibility (tho I side with them on somethings) but having gone to many 3rd world countries in my summers you will really see who it is unfair too. like i side their's 2 side to every coin and i believe that the issue many are focusing on is wrong. The issue to focus on is not Yves Sikubwabo, but instead OFSAA!
Their's two sides to every coin and both Mr Cunliffe and Sloan have made valid points. I personally feel that a lot of have and continue to look at this very negatively and to no fault of Yves Sikubwabo. Some believe that the Canadian immigration system is fair and generous. It isn't. Many immigrants sacrifice themselves and their aspirations for the betterment of a new life. New education and a place where he sees a future past tomorrow! We are forgetting Rwanda is a war torn country as well. Now I also understand the debate here is not about the fact that he is staying in Canada but the fact that he is competing in the Ontario Federal Sports Athletics Association (including any subgroups of that). To some extent to do agree with the postings that OFSAA needs to get its priorities straight with the way it handles ineligibility having being ineligible my self and waiting close to a month for appeal to go through 4 years ago. I know many of the athletes competing are discourage and disagreeing with his eligibility (tho I side with them on somethings) but having gone to many 3rd world countries in my summers you will really see who it is unfair too. like i side their's 2 side to every coin and i believe that the issue many are focusing on is wrong. The issue to focus on is not Yves Sikubwabo, but instead OFSAA!
10/20/2010 9:17:57 PM
User
I have no problem with him staying in Canada we have plenty of room for another refugee but Africa is known for the land of lost passports I could be wrong but I do no believe he is not of age to compete in highschool so I dont think he should compete at OFSAA but something will be done or not be done we have to deal with it...
I have no problem with him staying in Canada we have plenty of room for another refugee but Africa is known for the land of lost passports I could be wrong but I do no believe he is not of age to compete in highschool so I dont think he should compete at OFSAA but something will be done or not be done we have to deal with it...
10/20/2010 9:27:22 PM
User
[quote=faster]I have no problem with him staying in Canada we have plenty of room for another refugee but Africa is known for the land of lost passports I could be wrong but I do no believe he is not of age to compete in highschool so I dont think he should compete at OFSAA but something will be done or not be done we have to deal with it...[/quote] @faster its unfair to question his age because not everyone looks like their age. Am sure you are no stranger to this Eamon Kichuk
faster wrote:

@faster

its unfair to question his age because not everyone looks like their age. Am sure you are no stranger to this Eamon Kichuk
10/20/2010 9:32:07 PM
User
No sir I am not a stranger to those comments but I could give you every race and every detail of myself since I was born... the question is can he?
No sir I am not a stranger to those comments but I could give you every race and every detail of myself since I was born... the question is can he?
10/20/2010 10:15:22 PM
User
sikubwabo, more like sikuboner
sikubwabo, more like sikuboner
10/20/2010 11:36:00 PM
User
@faster Well actually no, he probably cant. See the funny thing is, you have lived your whole life in luxury and comfort, being nursed by your kind and loving parents, with pictures and memories to document your childhood, and a sound system for documenting your birth. Sikubwabo on the other hand, does not have parents, and he does not live in luxury and comfort. He lives in poverty and a war torn country. I wouldnt be surprised if he has had to be able to run that fast just to save his own ass from Hutus. It would be nearly impossible to tell how old you were if you had nothing to go off of, just an estimate of time. Do you think they have calendars or anything else like that at their disposition? Of course not. Im sure it would be fairly accurate to say he is older then what he says he is, but really its not his fault at all. Innocent until proven guilty, unless someone can prove he's not 17, let him run. Who are we to tell him how old he is without any true proof? And also, where is everyone getting this info that he has only been in school for 1 week? Even if that was the case, I dont think it would be completely fair to deny him because of the 16 practice rule. Im sure he is just getting on his feet and finding somewhere to live, all the while not being able to speak english very well, and im assuming without a source of income. It would be hard enough as it is for him to attend something like 3 practices a week. And also there is nothing in the Transfer Policy that is against people from other provinces and countries moving in and running, he is clearly not here to stack a team or anything like that, i doubt he even has a team. Those are the facts, think what you want, I don't see anything wrong with him running, he's just bringing more popularity to the sport, spectators want fast races, and thats what they'll get.
@faster

Well actually no, he probably cant. See the funny thing is, you have lived your whole life in luxury and comfort, being nursed by your kind and loving parents, with pictures and memories to document your childhood, and a sound system for documenting your birth. Sikubwabo on the other hand, does not have parents, and he does not live in luxury and comfort. He lives in poverty and a war torn country. I wouldnt be surprised if he has had to be able to run that fast just to save his own ass from Hutus. It would be nearly impossible to tell how old you were if you had nothing to go off of, just an estimate of time. Do you think they have calendars or anything else like that at their disposition? Of course not. Im sure it would be fairly accurate to say he is older then what he says he is, but really its not his fault at all. Innocent until proven guilty, unless someone can prove he's not 17, let him run. Who are we to tell him how old he is without any true proof? And also, where is everyone getting this info that he has only been in school for 1 week? Even if that was the case, I dont think it would be completely fair to deny him because of the 16 practice rule. Im sure he is just getting on his feet and finding somewhere to live, all the while not being able to speak english very well, and im assuming without a source of income. It would be hard enough as it is for him to attend something like 3 practices a week. And also there is nothing in the Transfer Policy that is against people from other provinces and countries moving in and running, he is clearly not here to stack a team or anything like that, i doubt he even has a team. Those are the facts, think what you want, I don't see anything wrong with him running, he's just bringing more popularity to the sport, spectators want fast races, and thats what they'll get.
10/21/2010 11:57:07 AM
User
@spritz http://nchighschoolxc.blogspot.com/ This is where i believe most people are getting the information that he has only been in school for 2 weeks. I'd also like to point out that while it would be an inspirational comeback story if he were to run OFSAA this year and win after all the hardships he has endured, in hindsight, Yves has already won. He's living in a free country, with a roof over his head, and a chance to have a decent education. So instead of trying to make other users feel guilty for living lives of 'luxury' let's look at the big picture here. OFSAA is just a small part of the opportunities that will lie ahead for Yves regardless of his age, eligibility, or past experiences.
@spritz http://nchighschoolxc.blogspot.com/
This is where i believe most people are getting the information that he has only been in school for 2 weeks. I'd also like to point out that while it would be an inspirational comeback story if he were to run OFSAA this year and win after all the hardships he has endured, in hindsight, Yves has already won. He's living in a free country, with a roof over his head, and a chance to have a decent education. So instead of trying to make other users feel guilty for living lives of 'luxury' let's look at the big picture here. OFSAA is just a small part of the opportunities that will lie ahead for Yves regardless of his age, eligibility, or past experiences.
10/21/2010 12:28:19 PM
User
[quote=spritz]@faster Well actually no, he probably cant. See the funny thing is, you have lived your whole life in luxury and comfort, being nursed by your kind and loving parents, with pictures and memories to document your childhood, and a sound system for documenting your birth. Sikubwabo on the other hand, does not have parents, and he does not live in luxury and comfort. He lives in poverty and a war torn country. I wouldnt be surprised if he has had to be able to run that fast just to save his own ass from Hutus. It would be nearly impossible to tell how old you were if you had nothing to go off of, just an estimate of time. Do you think they have calendars or anything else like that at their disposition? Of course not. Im sure it would be fairly accurate to say he is older then what he says he is, but really its not his fault at all. Innocent until proven guilty, unless someone can prove he's not 17, let him run. Who are we to tell him how old he is without any true proof? And also, where is everyone getting this info that he has only been in school for 1 week? Even if that was the case, I dont think it would be completely fair to deny him because of the 16 practice rule. Im sure he is just getting on his feet and finding somewhere to live, all the while not being able to speak english very well, and im assuming without a source of income. It would be hard enough as it is for him to attend something like 3 practices a week. And also there is nothing in the Transfer Policy that is against people from other provinces and countries moving in and running, he is clearly not here to stack a team or anything like that, i doubt he even has a team. Those are the facts, think what you want, I don't see anything wrong with him running, he's just bringing more popularity to the sport, spectators want fast races, and thats what they'll get.[/quote] @spritz What you are saying is totaly irrelevant to what I was saying. I dont need a lecture of how poor Arica is. So unless you want to say something that has something to do with what I said do not tag me in a response because I do not care for nameless opinions.
spritz wrote:
@faster

Well actually no, he probably cant. See the funny thing is, you have lived your whole life in luxury and comfort, being nursed by your kind and loving parents, with pictures and memories to document your childhood, and a sound system for documenting your birth. Sikubwabo on the other hand, does not have parents, and he does not live in luxury and comfort. He lives in poverty and a war torn country. I wouldnt be surprised if he has had to be able to run that fast just to save his own ass from Hutus. It would be nearly impossible to tell how old you were if you had nothing to go off of, just an estimate of time. Do you think they have calendars or anything else like that at their disposition? Of course not. Im sure it would be fairly accurate to say he is older then what he says he is, but really its not his fault at all. Innocent until proven guilty, unless someone can prove he's not 17, let him run. Who are we to tell him how old he is without any true proof? And also, where is everyone getting this info that he has only been in school for 1 week? Even if that was the case, I dont think it would be completely fair to deny him because of the 16 practice rule. Im sure he is just getting on his feet and finding somewhere to live, all the while not being able to speak english very well, and im assuming without a source of income. It would be hard enough as it is for him to attend something like 3 practices a week. And also there is nothing in the Transfer Policy that is against people from other provinces and countries moving in and running, he is clearly not here to stack a team or anything like that, i doubt he even has a team. Those are the facts, think what you want, I don't see anything wrong with him running, he's just bringing more popularity to the sport, spectators want fast races, and thats what they'll get.

@spritz
What you are saying is totaly irrelevant to what I was saying. I dont need a lecture of how poor Arica is. So unless you want to say something that has something to do with what I said do not tag me in a response because I do not care for nameless opinions.
10/21/2010 1:17:43 PM
User
@miletime ridiculous to compare this guys situation to Rob's. Rob hated the coach at his high school and did not want to run for her or Sydenham. Boyd told me at one point (late in the summer, when one should probably have their courses selected) that Rob was going to move in with a friend in town (so he could be out of the area that required him to go to Sydenham) and go to Frontenac or KCVI so he could RUN, not because his old school wouldn't give him courses. Maybe they didn't give him the courses he needed in the end, but he intended to switch schools because of running. Rob's a good kid and it'd be good to see him running OFSAA, but please don't compare his situation to Yves'.
@miletime ridiculous to compare this guys situation to Rob's. Rob hated the coach at his high school and did not want to run for her or Sydenham. Boyd told me at one point (late in the summer, when one should probably have their courses selected) that Rob was going to move in with a friend in town (so he could be out of the area that required him to go to Sydenham) and go to Frontenac or KCVI so he could RUN, not because his old school wouldn't give him courses. Maybe they didn't give him the courses he needed in the end, but he intended to switch schools because of running. Rob's a good kid and it'd be good to see him running OFSAA, but please don't compare his situation to Yves'.
10/21/2010 2:20:13 PM
Coach
@djw1 This is more or less true. Rob did intend to leave Sydenham in order to escape the coach there. When he figured out that he probably wouldn't be able to transfer in spite of changing his address, however, he did make a last minute atempt to enroll at Sydenham and was told there was no space for him in any of the courses he had not already taken. Then, at the urging of the AD at his new school, he did submit an application to be allowed to run, which he had no expectation of having approved. In the end, DJW is right that Rob's example should not be used to impugn anyone over the Yves Sikuwambo decision. Rob took his chances and is perfectly resigned to the outcome. Re: the main issue, young Sikubwabo whatever his precise age, has overcome more than the average middle-class Canadian kid can imagine in order to get where he is today. Rwanda is not Kenya or Ethiopia, with their relatively well developed systems for identifying and nurturing talent. Most of what he has done thus far has probably been the result of his own personal drive in the face of great difficulties. Even coming alone to a new country and trying to negotiate its education system represents an act of personal courage that is, thankfully, beyond anything normally required of the average Canadian young person. As for his refugee status, we have procedures for determining that, so I would suggest the rest of us leave this question to the experts. In the meantime, he has the same right to make a claim as anyone. And, besides, what's the worst thing that might happen as far as you guys are concerned-- that he might win OFSAA? This would be a very small price to pay for helping a brave young guy make his way in this country (whether or not he ends up satisfying the legal definition of a refugee); and, it may even bring more attention to the meet, which would be good for all of the participants. (Plus, we need [i]someone[/i] to give T. Woodfine a workout! And don't make the same mistake as last year; no one else will touch a healthy T.W. There is no reason to believe that he will not be even stronger this year. I look forward to watching he and Sikubwabo duke it out!)
@djw1 This is more or less true. Rob did intend to leave Sydenham in order to escape the coach there. When he figured out that he probably wouldn't be able to transfer in spite of changing his address, however, he did make a last minute atempt to enroll at Sydenham and was told there was no space for him in any of the courses he had not already taken. Then, at the urging of the AD at his new school, he did submit an application to be allowed to run, which he had no expectation of having approved.

In the end, DJW is right that Rob's example should not be used to impugn anyone over the Yves Sikuwambo decision. Rob took his chances and is perfectly resigned to the outcome.

Re: the main issue, young Sikubwabo whatever his precise age, has overcome more than the average middle-class Canadian kid can imagine in order to get where he is today. Rwanda is not Kenya or Ethiopia, with their relatively well developed systems for identifying and nurturing talent. Most of what he has done thus far has probably been the result of his own personal drive in the face of great difficulties. Even coming alone to a new country and trying to negotiate its education system represents an act of personal courage that is, thankfully, beyond anything normally required of the average Canadian young person. As for his refugee status, we have procedures for determining that, so I would suggest the rest of us leave this question to the experts. In the meantime, he has the same right to make a claim as anyone.

And, besides, what's the worst thing that might happen as far as you guys are concerned-- that he might win OFSAA? This would be a very small price to pay for helping a brave young guy make his way in this country (whether or not he ends up satisfying the legal definition of a refugee); and, it may even bring more attention to the meet, which would be good for all of the participants. (Plus, we need someone to give T. Woodfine a workout! And don't make the same mistake as last year; no one else will touch a healthy T.W. There is no reason to believe that he will not be even stronger this year. I look forward to watching he and Sikubwabo duke it out!)
10/21/2010 2:51:09 PM
Coach
@oldster P.S. The 16 practices rule is the same as it always was: bullshit. Ostensibly a measure to ensure that all participants in track and X-C are adequately prepared for their disciplines (although, since this rule contains no preamble, and no other sport but, I think, gymnastics, has such a rule, no one really knows it's rationale), this rule is, in practice, used as a weapon against kids who prefer to continue doing their main practices with their year-round club coaches. Or, at least, it was inspired and submitted for approval by a coach or set of coaches with precisely such a thing in mind (and I have the evidence to prove this). In any case, it is completely useless in ensuring that any kid is [i]actually[/i] prepared to run X-C, and is, I believe, rarely if ever used for this purpose by school coaches anyway. I would hate it if anyone had ever tried to invoke this idiotic rule in the case of someone like Yves Sikuwabo.
@oldster

P.S. The 16 practices rule is the same as it always was: bullshit. Ostensibly a measure to ensure that all participants in track and X-C are adequately prepared for their disciplines (although, since this rule contains no preamble, and no other sport but, I think, gymnastics, has such a rule, no one really knows it's rationale), this rule is, in practice, used as a weapon against kids who prefer to continue doing their main practices with their year-round club coaches. Or, at least, it was inspired and submitted for approval by a coach or set of coaches with precisely such a thing in mind (and I have the evidence to prove this). In any case, it is completely useless in ensuring that any kid is actually prepared to run X-C, and is, I believe, rarely if ever used for this purpose by school coaches anyway. I would hate it if anyone had ever tried to invoke this idiotic rule in the case of someone like Yves Sikuwabo.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.