Canadian Cross Country Champs
11/05/2012 7:56:06 PM
User
Might as well start up some predictions for Nationals as its only a few weeks away and AO is this weekend. Also who is competing in the senior race have mostly been following Juniors. I heard Cam Levins And Mo Ahmed will run, pretty much a lock for 1-2. In the Juniors race what university athletes are eligible to compete and what ones will be able to make the team? So far I think Flanagan would have to be the Favorite.
Might as well start up some predictions for Nationals as its only a few weeks away and AO is this weekend. Also who is competing in the senior race have mostly been following Juniors.

I heard Cam Levins And Mo Ahmed will run, pretty much a lock for 1-2.

In the Juniors race what university athletes are eligible to compete and what ones will be able to make the team?

So far I think Flanagan would have to be the Favorite.
11/05/2012 9:14:22 PM
Power User
CHris Winter interview - competing at national cross: http://athleticsillustrated.com/interviews/chris-winter-interview/ There is also a new Simon Bairu article as well as this about Megan Brown: http://athleticsillustrated.com/editorial/megan-brown-is-on-the-top-of-her-game/
CHris Winter interview - competing at national cross:

http://athleticsillustrated.com/interviews/chris-winter-interview/

There is also a new Simon Bairu article as well as this about Megan Brown:
http://athleticsillustrated.com/editorial/megan-brown-is-on-the-top-of-her-game/
11/06/2012 11:46:12 AM
User
@Applause In the Junior Men's race, Ben Flanagan could easily be beaten by some of the overage juniors (e.g. Aaron Hendrikx, Rob Denault) if they decide to run. It is one thing to be a top high school runner, but to be at the top of the CIS heap or scoring for a highly ranked D1 team is a completely different level of running.
@Applause

In the Junior Men's race, Ben Flanagan could easily be beaten by some of the overage juniors (e.g. Aaron Hendrikx, Rob Denault) if they decide to run. It is one thing to be a top high school runner, but to be at the top of the CIS heap or scoring for a highly ranked D1 team is a completely different level of running.
11/07/2012 1:36:00 PM
User
@JungleJack You're right on. If i remember correctly, Flanagan ran 24:30 for 8k this year. Rob ran 24:04, although I wouldn't be surprised if he chose to skip it and focus on track instead. Hendrix ran 24:30 at Griak (I assume that was his fastest this year). Based on that, if Rob decides to skip it, it could be a good race between Flanagan, Hendrix and Yves who beat Hendrix at oua's.
@JungleJack
You're right on.
If i remember correctly, Flanagan ran 24:30 for 8k this year.
Rob ran 24:04, although I wouldn't be surprised if he chose to skip it and focus on track instead. Hendrix ran 24:30 at Griak (I assume that was his fastest this year). Based on that, if Rob decides to skip it, it could be a good race between Flanagan, Hendrix and Yves who beat Hendrix at oua's.
11/07/2012 2:00:50 PM
User
@Jo14 Henderson threw down a 24:06 at Vic Matthews this year http://www.tentofmiracles.ca/vmmtm.htm
@Jo14 Henderson threw down a 24:06 at Vic Matthews this year
http://www.tentofmiracles.ca/vmmtm.htm
11/07/2012 4:51:38 PM
User
@Jo14 To put Flanagan in the same boat as Henrikx and Yves is hilarious. Flanagan is the best XC runner at the OFSAA level. He ran amazing at Vic Matthews-where he was in peak shape and other top athletes were using it as a rust-buster. I think Flanagan would run 14:30-35 for 5k, whereas Hendrikx/Yves would run 14:10-20. No doubt about it. And don't give me that 'xc ain't the same as track bullshit'.
@Jo14 To put Flanagan in the same boat as Henrikx and Yves is hilarious. Flanagan is the best XC runner at the OFSAA level. He ran amazing at Vic Matthews-where he was in peak shape and other top athletes were using it as a rust-buster. I think Flanagan would run 14:30-35 for 5k, whereas Hendrikx/Yves would run 14:10-20. No doubt about it. And don't give me that 'xc ain't the same as track bullshit'.
11/07/2012 5:14:50 PM
User
@ImDaNuts i wasnt saying that he would win, i was saying it would be a good race. if the course is even close to as muddy as it was last year, the race will slow down and become a lot closer than it would be if it was a tt in good conditions.
@ImDaNuts
i wasnt saying that he would win, i was saying it would be a good race. if the course is even close to as muddy as it was last year, the race will slow down and become a lot closer than it would be if it was a tt in good conditions.
11/09/2012 12:24:59 PM
Coach
[quote=ImDaNuts]@Jo14 To put Flanagan in the same boat as Henrikx and Yves is hilarious. Flanagan is the best XC runner at the OFSAA level. He ran amazing at Vic Matthews-where he was in peak shape and other top athletes were using it as a rust-buster. I think Flanagan would run 14:30-35 for 5k, whereas Hendrikx/Yves would run 14:10-20. No doubt about it. And don't give me that 'xc ain't the same as track bullshit'.[/quote] @ImDaNuts while I wouldn't pick Flanagan to win the Canadian Junior XC race if everyone showed up, there's no reason to assume he was in peak shape for Vic Matthews and pretend athletes who had already raced multiple times were 'using it as a rust-buster'.
ImDaNuts wrote:

@ImDaNuts while I wouldn't pick Flanagan to win the Canadian Junior XC race if everyone showed up, there's no reason to assume he was in peak shape for Vic Matthews and pretend athletes who had already raced multiple times were 'using it as a rust-buster'.
11/09/2012 7:17:28 PM
User
@SteveWeiler oh for sure. But I'm calling Flanagan FTW if Hendrikx/Yves do not race it.
@SteveWeiler oh for sure. But I'm calling Flanagan FTW if Hendrikx/Yves do not race it.
11/09/2012 11:29:30 PM
User
Shit, I'm calling Flanagan for the win regardless
Shit, I'm calling Flanagan for the win regardless
11/10/2012 9:02:33 AM
User
@Tryhard Flanagan for the win at World Cross. You heard it here first.
@Tryhard Flanagan for the win at World Cross. You heard it here first.
11/12/2012 10:32:09 PM
User
looking at some junior guys... word on the street is that denault and hendrix wont be there. But yves might be I dont know about him. Individuals you have yves, flanagan, and possibly cassidy if he has another good race like last year. Does anyone know if Brown is still a junior? Teams: No order of winning Ottawa- Yves, mickey day, scott donald, alex berthe Windsor- sliemen, allen, reid mitchell, and i dont know who else Durham dragons- coughler, kirkup, akerman, dont know who else Newmarket huskies- Brown(if he is of age), freemantle, keaton smee, dont know who else. too bad cause if denault was there they would prob win.
looking at some junior guys... word on the street is that denault and hendrix wont be there. But yves might be I dont know about him.
Individuals you have yves, flanagan, and possibly cassidy if he has another good race like last year. Does anyone know if Brown is still a junior?

Teams: No order of winning
Ottawa- Yves, mickey day, scott donald, alex berthe
Windsor- sliemen, allen, reid mitchell, and i dont know who else
Durham dragons- coughler, kirkup, akerman, dont know who else
Newmarket huskies- Brown(if he is of age), freemantle, keaton smee, dont know who else. too bad cause if denault was there they would prob win.
11/12/2012 10:48:48 PM
User
After making a mockery of the CIS this weekend, I'd have to think the Kelly Wiebe show will be a major factor in Vancouver. While he still doesn't have the credentials of Mo Ahmed or Levins I can see him hanging onto those guys for dear life and maybe surprising people if either of those guys falter. It's awesome that this year appears to have a lot more top end talent than last year. Does anyone know which other seniors will be running? Is Speed River sending a crew?
After making a mockery of the CIS this weekend, I'd have to think the Kelly Wiebe show will be a major factor in Vancouver.

While he still doesn't have the credentials of Mo Ahmed or Levins I can see him hanging onto those guys for dear life and maybe surprising people if either of those guys falter. It's awesome that this year appears to have a lot more top end talent than last year.

Does anyone know which other seniors will be running? Is Speed River sending a crew?
11/12/2012 10:58:50 PM
Power User
You can see entries here: http://www.trackie.com/online-registration/entries.php?id=646
You can see entries here: http://www.trackie.com/online-registration/entries.php?id=646
11/13/2012 7:02:48 AM
User
@CanadarunningFTW Brown is still a junior
@CanadarunningFTW Brown is still a junior
11/13/2012 7:20:38 PM
User
So looks like cassidy is running senior. Bold move to try and make the world team
So looks like cassidy is running senior. Bold move to try and make the world team
11/16/2012 12:18:14 PM
User
If we send a senior nats team it would be a good year to round up some guys with Levins and Mo leading the charge....Even just based on the list now you have a handful of guys that could make up a solid 7 man team Cam, Mo, Wiebe, Walters, Corrigan, Britt than a handful of guys with the potential to burst into the thick of things (Haight, Cassidy, Winter, Childs, Hashi, Degroot) and the list goes on! Should be a great year!
If we send a senior nats team it would be a good year to round up some guys with Levins and Mo leading the charge....Even just based on the list now you have a handful of guys that could make up a solid 7 man team

Cam, Mo, Wiebe, Walters, Corrigan, Britt than a handful of guys with the potential to burst into the thick of things (Haight, Cassidy, Winter, Childs, Hashi, Degroot) and the list goes on!

Should be a great year!
11/16/2012 1:17:27 PM
User
Who are the top junior/senior men NOT from Ontario? And who are the darkhorses? We could use a little more pre-race hype. I say Wiebe/Mo will not back down to Levins, they could throw in some surges to try and break free. Those 3 want gold, not just a medal. Lastly, any word on team predictions for junior/senior men? Remember only 4 needed to score.
Who are the top junior/senior men NOT from Ontario? And who are the darkhorses? We could use a little more pre-race hype. I say Wiebe/Mo will not back down to Levins, they could throw in some surges to try and break free. Those 3 want gold, not just a medal. Lastly, any word on team predictions for junior/senior men? Remember only 4 needed to score.
11/16/2012 1:49:15 PM
Coach
[quote=kingwwc]If we send a senior nats team it would be a good year to round up some guys with Levins and Mo leading the charge....Even just based on the list now you have a handful of guys that could make up a solid 7 man team Cam, Mo, Wiebe, Walters, Corrigan, Britt than a handful of guys with the potential to burst into the thick of things (Haight, Cassidy, Winter, Childs, Hashi, Degroot) and the list goes on! Should be a great year![/quote] @kingwwc You're getting WAY ahead of yourself-- that is, if by "solid" you mean a team that would not get completely eviserated at Worlds. Such a team would have to include not only Levins and Mo, but the healthy and focused Bairu,Gillis, Coolsaet, and Wykes, with a guy like Wiebe, or perhaps Rob Watson, rounding things out. With all due respect to these other guys, they are not quite ready for prime time, and they won't be until they are proven low or sub 28min 10k guys.
kingwwc wrote:
If we send a senior nats team it would be a good year to round up some guys with Levins and Mo leading the charge....Even just based on the list now you have a handful of guys that could make up a solid 7 man team

Cam, Mo, Wiebe, Walters, Corrigan, Britt than a handful of guys with the potential to burst into the thick of things (Haight, Cassidy, Winter, Childs, Hashi, Degroot) and the list goes on!

Should be a great year!

@kingwwc You're getting WAY ahead of yourself-- that is, if by "solid" you mean a team that would not get completely eviserated at Worlds. Such a team would have to include not only Levins and Mo, but the healthy and focused Bairu,Gillis, Coolsaet, and Wykes, with a guy like Wiebe, or perhaps Rob Watson, rounding things out. With all due respect to these other guys, they are not quite ready for prime time, and they won't be until they are proven low or sub 28min 10k guys.
11/16/2012 2:07:19 PM
Coach
[quote=ImDaNuts]Who are the top junior/senior men NOT from Ontario? And who are the darkhorses? We could use a little more pre-race hype. I say Wiebe/Mo will not back down to Levins, they could throw in some surges to try and break free. Those 3 want gold, not just a medal. Lastly, any word on team predictions for junior/senior men? Remember only 4 needed to score.[/quote] @ImDaNuts I was waiting for this. Please don't put Wiebe in the same sentence as Levins and Mo. It's completely direspectful to them, and an unreasonable burden for Wiebe to carry. If all run according to form (and disasters are always possible), Levins and Mo will do to Wiebe exactly what he did to the college boys last week. Levins and Mo are mid-27min 10k guys with international experience. We have to be perfectly clear what this means, and it means they could comfortably split Wiebe's current 5k P.B.-- and by "comfortably" I mean they could sustain it for another 4.6k, then kick a sub-60 second 400 off of it (likely sub 55 for Levins). Levins and Mo would have to be unimaginably poor X-C runners for this massive discprepancy not to show next Saturday-- and we know they are both quite good X-C runners. Even if Wiebe has somehow managed to improve massively in the last few months (like, a minute over 10k, which is highly unlikely at his age) he would still give up 20-30 secs to Mo and Levins on an average day. It was one thing to say that UVIC was going to take a run at Guelph at CIS (which was insane); it is a whole other level of insanity to start speaking of these three athletes as being on the same level.
ImDaNuts wrote:

@ImDaNuts I was waiting for this. Please don't put Wiebe in the same sentence as Levins and Mo. It's completely direspectful to them, and an unreasonable burden for Wiebe to carry. If all run according to form (and disasters are always possible), Levins and Mo will do to Wiebe exactly what he did to the college boys last week. Levins and Mo are mid-27min 10k guys with international experience. We have to be perfectly clear what this means, and it means they could comfortably split Wiebe's current 5k P.B.-- and by "comfortably" I mean they could sustain it for another 4.6k, then kick a sub-60 second 400 off of it (likely sub 55 for Levins). Levins and Mo would have to be unimaginably poor X-C runners for this massive discprepancy not to show next Saturday-- and we know they are both quite good X-C runners. Even if Wiebe has somehow managed to improve massively in the last few months (like, a minute over 10k, which is highly unlikely at his age) he would still give up 20-30 secs to Mo and Levins on an average day.

It was one thing to say that UVIC was going to take a run at Guelph at CIS (which was insane); it is a whole other level of insanity to start speaking of these three athletes as being on the same level.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.