CIS Predictions
11/02/2012 9:55:05 AM
User
Lets go people one week left let's get some predictions going on
Lets go people one week left let's get some predictions going on
11/04/2012 9:17:12 AM
User
Men's Top 10 Preds 1) Kelly Wiebe- guy's been the man all summer and ran away from the Guelph boys at Roy Griak like it was nothing. Can't see anybody taking him down. 2)Andrew Nixon- tall lanky guys got real sabotaged at the OUA (T̶o̶u̶g̶h̶ ̶M̶u̶d̶d̶e̶r̶) Cross Country Course, but the guy is still defending CIS Champ and looked great at Vic Matthews. Can't see him not medalling. 3)Ross Proudfoot- OUA champ with wicked closing ability. He'll leave CIS with two medals. 4) Matt Walters- Always a factor near the top. Double gold medalist in the 2012 track season. Hasn't been on fire this year, but should be able to go out with the leaders and hang on tough. 5) Aaron Hendrixxx- Was sixth last year and has made huge improvements since. 6)Ryan Cassidy- U Vic sophomore is rumoured to be absurdly fit and should lead this very strong team to an impressive finish. 7)Yves Sykawoauouiiwafohe- second at OUA's should be enough for first team AC. 8) Charles Philibert-Thiboutot- one of the most charming guys in the CIS. Apparently, he's also pretty quick. 9)Dylan Haight- it's a crapshoot guessing how the Vic guys will be on the big day, but he's real consistent and should make top 10. 10) Jeff Archer- came 10th at CIS last year- 10th at this year's OUA's. Most incidents are directly connected to the number 10. Check it.
Men's Top 10 Preds

1) Kelly Wiebe- guy's been the man all summer and ran away from the Guelph boys at Roy Griak like it was nothing. Can't see anybody taking him down.

2)Andrew Nixon- tall lanky guys got real sabotaged at the OUA (T̶o̶u̶g̶h̶ ̶M̶u̶d̶d̶e̶r̶) Cross Country Course, but the guy is still defending CIS Champ and looked great at Vic Matthews. Can't see him not medalling.

3)Ross Proudfoot- OUA champ with wicked closing ability. He'll leave CIS with two medals.

4) Matt Walters- Always a factor near the top. Double gold medalist in the 2012 track season. Hasn't been on fire this year, but should be able to go out with the leaders and hang on tough.

5) Aaron Hendrixxx- Was sixth last year and has made huge improvements since.

6)Ryan Cassidy- U Vic sophomore is rumoured to be absurdly fit and should lead this very strong team to an impressive finish.

7)Yves Sykawoauouiiwafohe- second at OUA's should be enough for first team AC.

8) Charles Philibert-Thiboutot- one of the most charming guys in the CIS. Apparently, he's also pretty quick.

9)Dylan Haight- it's a crapshoot guessing how the Vic guys will be on the big day, but he's real consistent and should make top 10.

10) Jeff Archer- came 10th at CIS last year- 10th at this year's OUA's. Most incidents are directly connected to the number 10. Check it.
11/04/2012 4:31:43 PM
User
@donjuan Since it's a post-run Sunday afternoon and I really want to avoid studying, here's my analysis of the situation (only the Men, though, because apparently I'm gender-biased with my track-following) TEAMS: 1) Guelph - This race is Guelph's to lose. With Nixon, Proudfoot, Sikubwabo, and Hendrikx the Gryphons can potentially pack three in the top five and at least four in the top ten. Toss in Grieve or Lecours in a potential second-team AC position and they leave with a cool 25 points - definitely enough for the win. 2) Victoria - Have all of Vic's races been held in the Dalplex?? On paper, at top 5 with a 30 second spread around 31:30 could potentially challenge Guelph for the title. In reality, a lot of the courses out West are pretty quick and those times may not translate QUITE as well at CIS. That being said, Vic is still very solid this year and should finish runner-up to the perennial champs. I honestly don't even know who Vic's #1 will be on race day. My guess would be Cassidy, but Haight and Oxland are also very capable runners. Hulse and Collin didn't pan out for the Vikes this year, but it doesn't seem to have held them up too much. 3) Windsor - My original rankings had the Lancers off the back especially without a healthy Janikowski. Well, Janikowski still doesn't appear to be healthy, but that hasn't stopped the boys from Windsor. Walters is almost a lock for first-team AC and they have a very solid supporting cast with Cooper (big run as a rookie at OUAs), Falk, and Kegal. With Janikowski, I figure they'd be challenging Victoria, but for now I slot them solidly in third. 4) Regina - Kelly Wiebe could stop to take a dump mid-race and still win this thing. So that means the Coug's are scoring four. In my opinion, Fyfe and Johnson are both second-team AC material, which makes for a VERY solid top three. Unfortunately for the Cougars, it looks like 2009 CIS Rookie of the Year Wyatt Baiton will not be running. This means they are relying on Streuby and Middlemiss to round out the top-5. Streuby has looked good this year, and Middlemiss ran exceptionally well at Stewart Cup. If he can replicate that performance in London it might just launch Regina onto the podium. No pressure Mike! 5) Queens - Like Vic, Boyd's boys have a very deep team with a tight spread. Archer came up huge last year after finishing 17th at OUAs, so a 10th place finish in the province doesn't necessarily count for all that much. After Archer, Tyson Loney, Nick McGraw, and Clay Patterson are all solid picks for top-30 performances (and I could see Loney finishing top-20). That's a really good pack. Cashin has been a little up and down this year but he had a nice run at OUAs to finish 26th. Even if one of the top-5 has a bad day, guys like Costen could easily step up and fill that spot. Depth counts for a lot at CIS. 6) Laval - I haven't been too kind to the boys from Quebec with my predictions this year. Laval is very strong and could easily flip-flop with Queen's for the fifth position, but someone has to come out on top. Chuck PT is undefeated in La Belle province and is unlikely to have another blow-up like last year. He's a solid threat for 1st team AC. Also.... that hair! After PT, Emmanuel Boisevert has been a very solid #2 all year. He could potentially snag a second team AC spot to give Laval a very solid 1-2. After that comes Lapierre, Larouche, and JSFT (I refuse to spell out a name with two hyphens!). These guys are no scrubs, but may not carry quite the same depth that Queen's has. If JS Lapointe or JD Labranche (who looked good early in the year) can run up to potential, Laval should easily vault into fifth and maybe even challenge for 3-4th. Unfortunately, they've both struggled this year, so I have to keep the Rouge et Or in sixth. The afterparty is a whole different ballgame - Laval should score a perfect 15. 7) McMaster - Darlington is the X factor on this team. He is a stellar rookie but has been suspiciously absent in a number of races including OUAs. Sanders is a solid number one and based on his attire at OUAs, will likely be running in a full snowsuit by the middle of November. Crazy triathletes. Reid ran out of his mind at OUAs and could potentially fill the void made by Darlington. I don't think this team can challenge Queen's and Laval, but the rest of Mac should be enough to keep the Marauders ahead of 8-9-10. They are kind of in no-man's land. 8) Calgary - I've been flip-flopping on Calgary and STFX for a while, but I have to give the nod to the Dinos. Maybe this is due to my complete lack of knowledge about the Eastern part of Canada. I still don't know what city St. FX is in! (Just kidding, it's Charlottetown.....right?). Anyways - back to the Dinos. Bickley and Cloutier are both running really well this year..finishing slightly behind Matt Johnson at Stewart Cup. If you figure Johnson is potentially finishing 15th, this puts Bickley and Cloutier around 20th.. not too shabby for a top-2. Curtis Merry is a bit of a Darkhorse - he didn't run great at Stewart Cup but inside sources tell me he is ready to go. Hadfield is a really strong steepler and should finish well (and follow that up with a DNS in the after party). Schaerz and Justinen are capable 5th men and that should be enough to put the Dinos in 8th. 9) St. FX - I still don't know a whole lot about this team, but the way the ran with Laval earlier this month me think they should easily finish top-10 and potentially challenge Calgary for that 8th position. Connor McGuire (the AUS champ) is having a really good season, finishing less than 10 seconds behind Chuck PT at the UNB meet. After that they have a seemingly solid pack of guys that I regrettably don't know much about. 10) Lakehead - It's usually a pretty solid bet that the 5th place OUA team finishes top-10 at CIS. Dylan Brown is having a monster rookie campaign and could potentially challenge Sikubwabo (they are 1-1 so far in 2012) for ROY honours. A top-10 performance is not out of the question for Brown. Aulagnon is a solid #2 who usually shows up on game day. The usually #3 Chris Brown had an off day at OUAs, finishing as 7th man, so there is more in the tank for the 'Wolves. Travis Roske - the less attractive Roske sibling - had a great run to finish 30th at OUAs. Toss in rookie Kevin Treebeard and you have a top-10 team. Other potential top-10 teams: I really think only Western has a shot at breaking into this top-ten. Armstrong hasn't busted anything huge out yet this year, but he waited until CIS last year to turn in an AC performance (after an 18th place finish at OUAs), so that could be a game changer. Waterloo trumped Toronto at OUAs, but both finished a sizable gap behind LU-Western. Similarly, the Huskies and 'Da Bears finished too far behind Calgary at SC to be legitimate top-ten challengers. Sherbrooke has held their cards close this year but I don't see anything big happening with the Gold and Green. But what do I know, hey? [b]EDIT: I completely forgot about Trinity Western. It's really tough to judge how they will fair given that we've only seen them race UVIC who are leaps and bounds ahead. That being said, I would not be surprised at all to see them finish between 8th and 10th[/b] Top 15 Picks: 1) Wiebe 2) Nixon 3) Proudfoot 4) Walters 5) Hendrikx 6) Sikubwabo 7) Cassidy 8) Philibert-Thiboutot 9) Haight 10) Hodge 11) Brown 12) Fyfe 13) Sanders 14) Johnson
@donjuan

Since it's a post-run Sunday afternoon and I really want to avoid studying, here's my analysis of the situation (only the Men, though, because apparently I'm gender-biased with my track-following)

TEAMS:

1) Guelph - This race is Guelph's to lose. With Nixon, Proudfoot, Sikubwabo, and Hendrikx the Gryphons can potentially pack three in the top five and at least four in the top ten. Toss in Grieve or Lecours in a potential second-team AC position and they leave with a cool 25 points - definitely enough for the win.

2) Victoria - Have all of Vic's races been held in the Dalplex?? On paper, at top 5 with a 30 second spread around 31:30 could potentially challenge Guelph for the title. In reality, a lot of the courses out West are pretty quick and those times may not translate QUITE as well at CIS. That being said, Vic is still very solid this year and should finish runner-up to the perennial champs. I honestly don't even know who Vic's #1 will be on race day. My guess would be Cassidy, but Haight and Oxland are also very capable runners. Hulse and Collin didn't pan out for the Vikes this year, but it doesn't seem to have held them up too much.

3) Windsor - My original rankings had the Lancers off the back especially without a healthy Janikowski. Well, Janikowski still doesn't appear to be healthy, but that hasn't stopped the boys from Windsor. Walters is almost a lock for first-team AC and they have a very solid supporting cast with Cooper (big run as a rookie at OUAs), Falk, and Kegal. With Janikowski, I figure they'd be challenging Victoria, but for now I slot them solidly in third.

4) Regina - Kelly Wiebe could stop to take a dump mid-race and still win this thing. So that means the Coug's are scoring four. In my opinion, Fyfe and Johnson are both second-team AC material, which makes for a VERY solid top three. Unfortunately for the Cougars, it looks like 2009 CIS Rookie of the Year Wyatt Baiton will not be running. This means they are relying on Streuby and Middlemiss to round out the top-5. Streuby has looked good this year, and Middlemiss ran exceptionally well at Stewart Cup. If he can replicate that performance in London it might just launch Regina onto the podium. No pressure Mike!

5) Queens - Like Vic, Boyd's boys have a very deep team with a tight spread. Archer came up huge last year after finishing 17th at OUAs, so a 10th place finish in the province doesn't necessarily count for all that much. After Archer, Tyson Loney, Nick McGraw, and Clay Patterson are all solid picks for top-30 performances (and I could see Loney finishing top-20). That's a really good pack. Cashin has been a little up and down this year but he had a nice run at OUAs to finish 26th. Even if one of the top-5 has a bad day, guys like Costen could easily step up and fill that spot. Depth counts for a lot at CIS.

6) Laval - I haven't been too kind to the boys from Quebec with my predictions this year. Laval is very strong and could easily flip-flop with Queen's for the fifth position, but someone has to come out on top. Chuck PT is undefeated in La Belle province and is unlikely to have another blow-up like last year. He's a solid threat for 1st team AC. Also.... that hair! After PT, Emmanuel Boisevert has been a very solid #2 all year. He could potentially snag a second team AC spot to give Laval a very solid 1-2. After that comes Lapierre, Larouche, and JSFT (I refuse to spell out a name with two hyphens!). These guys are no scrubs, but may not carry quite the same depth that Queen's has. If JS Lapointe or JD Labranche (who looked good early in the year) can run up to potential, Laval should easily vault into fifth and maybe even challenge for 3-4th. Unfortunately, they've both struggled this year, so I have to keep the Rouge et Or in sixth. The afterparty is a whole different ballgame - Laval should score a perfect 15.

7) McMaster - Darlington is the X factor on this team. He is a stellar rookie but has been suspiciously absent in a number of races including OUAs. Sanders is a solid number one and based on his attire at OUAs, will likely be running in a full snowsuit by the middle of November. Crazy triathletes. Reid ran out of his mind at OUAs and could potentially fill the void made by Darlington. I don't think this team can challenge Queen's and Laval, but the rest of Mac should be enough to keep the Marauders ahead of 8-9-10. They are kind of in no-man's land.

8) Calgary - I've been flip-flopping on Calgary and STFX for a while, but I have to give the nod to the Dinos. Maybe this is due to my complete lack of knowledge about the Eastern part of Canada. I still don't know what city St. FX is in! (Just kidding, it's Charlottetown.....right?). Anyways - back to the Dinos. Bickley and Cloutier are both running really well this year..finishing slightly behind Matt Johnson at Stewart Cup. If you figure Johnson is potentially finishing 15th, this puts Bickley and Cloutier around 20th.. not too shabby for a top-2. Curtis Merry is a bit of a Darkhorse - he didn't run great at Stewart Cup but inside sources tell me he is ready to go. Hadfield is a really strong steepler and should finish well (and follow that up with a DNS in the after party). Schaerz and Justinen are capable 5th men and that should be enough to put the Dinos in 8th.

9) St. FX - I still don't know a whole lot about this team, but the way the ran with Laval earlier this month me think they should easily finish top-10 and potentially challenge Calgary for that 8th position. Connor McGuire (the AUS champ) is having a really good season, finishing less than 10 seconds behind Chuck PT at the UNB meet. After that they have a seemingly solid pack of guys that I regrettably don't know much about.

10) Lakehead - It's usually a pretty solid bet that the 5th place OUA team finishes top-10 at CIS. Dylan Brown is having a monster rookie campaign and could potentially challenge Sikubwabo (they are 1-1 so far in 2012) for ROY honours. A top-10 performance is not out of the question for Brown. Aulagnon is a solid #2 who usually shows up on game day. The usually #3 Chris Brown had an off day at OUAs, finishing as 7th man, so there is more in the tank for the 'Wolves. Travis Roske - the less attractive Roske sibling - had a great run to finish 30th at OUAs. Toss in rookie Kevin Treebeard and you have a top-10 team.

Other potential top-10 teams:

I really think only Western has a shot at breaking into this top-ten. Armstrong hasn't busted anything huge out yet this year, but he waited until CIS last year to turn in an AC performance (after an 18th place finish at OUAs), so that could be a game changer. Waterloo trumped Toronto at OUAs, but both finished a sizable gap behind LU-Western. Similarly, the Huskies and 'Da Bears finished too far behind Calgary at SC to be legitimate top-ten challengers. Sherbrooke has held their cards close this year but I don't see anything big happening with the Gold and Green. But what do I know, hey?

EDIT: I completely forgot about Trinity Western. It's really tough to judge how they will fair given that we've only seen them race UVIC who are leaps and bounds ahead. That being said, I would not be surprised at all to see them finish between 8th and 10th

Top 15 Picks:

1) Wiebe
2) Nixon
3) Proudfoot
4) Walters
5) Hendrikx
6) Sikubwabo
7) Cassidy
8) Philibert-Thiboutot
9) Haight
10) Hodge
11) Brown
12) Fyfe
13) Sanders
14) Johnson
11/04/2012 8:06:43 PM
User
1-Proudfoot 2-Nixon 3-Wiebe 4-Hendrikx 5-Walters 6-Sikuwabo 7-Cassidy 8-Thiboutot 9-D.Brown 10-Archer Sort of loose predictions, I know Wiebe is the favorite for most people. Personally I find Nixons race at Vic Matthews more impressive then the Griak and that is my reasoning, also the Guelph guys seem to get way better as the season progresses. I think Nixon will front run and battle with Wiebe and then Proudfoot will roll them up in the last few KM. Yves could have a big race and place higher but so could Walters should be awesome to watch.
1-Proudfoot
2-Nixon
3-Wiebe
4-Hendrikx
5-Walters
6-Sikuwabo
7-Cassidy
8-Thiboutot
9-D.Brown
10-Archer

Sort of loose predictions, I know Wiebe is the favorite for most people. Personally I find Nixons race at Vic Matthews more impressive then the Griak and that is my reasoning, also the Guelph guys seem to get way better as the season progresses. I think Nixon will front run and battle with Wiebe and then Proudfoot will roll them up in the last few KM. Yves could have a big race and place higher but so could Walters should be awesome to watch.
11/05/2012 8:15:53 PM
User
I'm going to be the first one to say this (and most likely the only one) but I like an upset. No doubt DST will have his guys well tapered and ready to role as per usual on the 10th, but it looks like those boys from the island mean business. Also I think it's time for a change up and Fougners group has been there before. Guelph has an unmatched 1-2-3 punch and Yves ran a great race at OUAs, but relying on a first timer at the big dance can be a risk. Guelphs #5 is where they will win or lose this. They can't have their last counter over a minute behind their top guys like they did a couple weeks ago because at CIS that's a lot of places. I like the look of Victoria because their spread is tight! It's so hard to compare those guys to any of the others fitness wise but I'm taking a chance... 1) Wiebe - hands down, this guy is an animal 2) Proudfoot - would have been interesting to see how he did at Vic Matthews, but from the OUAs results it looks as if the extra training did its job. 3) Nixon - defending champ will still medal but I don't know if he will beat either of those guys if they're on their game 4) Cassidy - Junior national champ from last year on a muddy ass course, this guy can dig. Vic needs him to be a low stick. 5) Walters - always shows up at nationals but I'm not sure if he can medal against such a deep distance lineup 6) Haight - this man has some magnificent hair, he also seems to step up big when his team needs him (and they will) 7) Hendrix - I know a lot of you aren't going to like this placing, ROY last year he came 6th, he's had a great a good and an ok race so far this year, I'm sure he has gotten fitter but so have a lot of other guys 8) Philibert-Thiboutot - fit and consistant, also coming off of a breakout outdoor season 9) Sikubwabo - great showing at OUA's had some inconsistencies early on 10) Oxland - has had some great races so far this season and has proved he can finally run with the big boys
I'm going to be the first one to say this (and most likely the only one) but I like an upset. No doubt DST will have his guys well tapered and ready to role as per usual on the 10th, but it looks like those boys from the island mean business. Also I think it's time for a change up and Fougners group has been there before. Guelph has an unmatched 1-2-3 punch and Yves ran a great race at OUAs, but relying on a first timer at the big dance can be a risk. Guelphs #5 is where they will win or lose this. They can't have their last counter over a minute behind their top guys like they did a couple weeks ago because at CIS that's a lot of places. I like the look of Victoria because their spread is tight! It's so hard to compare those guys to any of the others fitness wise but I'm taking a chance...

1) Wiebe - hands down, this guy is an animal
2) Proudfoot - would have been interesting to see how he did at Vic Matthews, but from the OUAs results it looks as if the extra training did its job.
3) Nixon - defending champ will still medal but I don't know if he will beat either of those guys if they're on their game
4) Cassidy - Junior national champ from last year on a muddy ass course, this guy can dig. Vic needs him to be a low stick.
5) Walters - always shows up at nationals but I'm not sure if he can medal against such a deep distance lineup
6) Haight - this man has some magnificent hair, he also seems to step up big when his team needs him (and they will)
7) Hendrix - I know a lot of you aren't going to like this placing, ROY last year he came 6th, he's had a great a good and an ok race so far this year, I'm sure he has gotten fitter but so have a lot of other guys
8) Philibert-Thiboutot - fit and consistant, also coming off of a breakout outdoor season
9) Sikubwabo - great showing at OUA's had some inconsistencies early on
10) Oxland - has had some great races so far this season and has proved he can finally run with the big boys
11/06/2012 2:26:39 PM
User
[quote=willrunforbeer]I'm going to be the first one to say this (and most likely the only one) but I like an upset. No doubt DST will have his guys well tapered and ready to role as per usual on the 10th, but it looks like those boys from the island mean business. Also I think it's time for a change up and Fougners group has been there before. Guelph has an unmatched 1-2-3 punch and Yves ran a great race at OUAs, but relying on a first timer at the big dance can be a risk. Guelphs #5 is where they will win or lose this. They can't have their last counter over a minute behind their top guys like they did a couple weeks ago because at CIS that's a lot of places. I like the look of Victoria because their spread is tight! It's so hard to compare those guys to any of the others fitness wise but I'm taking a chance... 1) Wiebe - hands down, this guy is an animal 2) Proudfoot - would have been interesting to see how he did at Vic Matthews, but from the OUAs results it looks as if the extra training did its job. 3) Nixon - defending champ will still medal but I don't know if he will beat either of those guys if they're on their game 4) Cassidy - Junior national champ from last year on a muddy ass course, this guy can dig. Vic needs him to be a low stick. 5) Walters - always shows up at nationals but I'm not sure if he can medal against such a deep distance lineup 6) Haight - this man has some magnificent hair, he also seems to step up big when his team needs him (and they will) 7) Hendrix - I know a lot of you aren't going to like this placing, ROY last year he came 6th, he's had a great a good and an ok race so far this year, I'm sure he has gotten fitter but so have a lot of other guys 8) Philibert-Thiboutot - fit and consistant, also coming off of a breakout outdoor season 9) Sikubwabo - great showing at OUA's had some inconsistencies early on 10) Oxland - has had some great races so far this season and has proved he can finally run with the big boys[/quote] @willrunforbeer This is fun and all, but who have these Vic guys actually beaten to make you think they will suddenly be able to go man-for-man with Guelph. And how does Sikuwabo, who beat Nixon last week, suddenly end up all the way back in 9th? If anything he's been getting stronger as the season has progressed, as anyone familar with the scene in the east will tell you. In general, it's entertaining to think anyone can seriously challenge the strength of the OUA teams, but sober assessment-- and recent history-- says otherwise. Windsor may look like a weakened, no-name side this year, but UVIC will be doing very well to get by them, and will have zero chance of touching Guelph. Looking at the team rosters, this year looks set to be a very near repeat of last year. Uvic may nip Windsor, but Queen's may well nip one or both of them, and no one is touching Guelph, believe me. It's very unlikely that any team, as a whole, has raised or lowered its game all that much versus one another when the personelle are all so similar to last year.
willrunforbeer wrote:
I'm going to be the first one to say this (and most likely the only one) but I like an upset. No doubt DST will have his guys well tapered and ready to role as per usual on the 10th, but it looks like those boys from the island mean business. Also I think it's time for a change up and Fougners group has been there before. Guelph has an unmatched 1-2-3 punch and Yves ran a great race at OUAs, but relying on a first timer at the big dance can be a risk. Guelphs #5 is where they will win or lose this. They can't have their last counter over a minute behind their top guys like they did a couple weeks ago because at CIS that's a lot of places. I like the look of Victoria because their spread is tight! It's so hard to compare those guys to any of the others fitness wise but I'm taking a chance...

2) Proudfoot - would have been interesting to see how he did at Vic Matthews, but from the OUAs results it looks as if the extra training did its job.
3) Nixon - defending champ will still medal but I don't know if he will beat either of those guys if they're on their game
4) Cassidy - Junior national champ from last year on a muddy ass course, this guy can dig. Vic needs him to be a low stick.
5) Walters - always shows up at nationals but I'm not sure if he can medal against such a deep distance lineup
6) Haight - this man has some magnificent hair, he also seems to step up big when his team needs him (and they will)
7) Hendrix - I know a lot of you aren't going to like this placing, ROY last year he came 6th, he's had a great a good and an ok race so far this year, I'm sure he has gotten fitter but so have a lot of other guys
8) Philibert-Thiboutot - fit and consistant, also coming off of a breakout outdoor season
10) Oxland - has had some great races so far this season and has proved he can finally run with the big boys

@willrunforbeer This is fun and all, but who have these Vic guys actually beaten to make you think they will suddenly be able to go man-for-man with Guelph. And how does Sikuwabo, who beat Nixon last week, suddenly end up all the way back in 9th? If anything he's been getting stronger as the season has progressed, as anyone familar with the scene in the east will tell you.

In general, it's entertaining to think anyone can seriously challenge the strength of the OUA teams, but sober assessment-- and recent history-- says otherwise. Windsor may look like a weakened, no-name side this year, but UVIC will be doing very well to get by them, and will have zero chance of touching Guelph. Looking at the team rosters, this year looks set to be a very near repeat of last year. Uvic may nip Windsor, but Queen's may well nip one or both of them, and no one is touching Guelph, believe me. It's very unlikely that any team, as a whole, has raised or lowered its game all that much versus one another when the personelle are all so similar to last year.
11/06/2012 2:43:37 PM
User
[quote=Oracle]willrunforbeerI'm going to be the first one to say this (and most likely the only one) but I like an upset. No doubt DST will have his guys well tapered and ready to role as per usual on the 10th, but it looks like those boys from the island mean business. Also I think it's time for a change up and Fougners group has been there before. Guelph has an unmatched 1-2-3 punch and Yves ran a great race at OUAs, but relying on a first timer at the big dance can be a risk. Guelphs #5 is where they will win or lose this. They can't have their last counter over a minute behind their top guys like they did a couple weeks ago because at CIS that's a lot of places. I like the look of Victoria because their spread is tight! It's so hard to compare those guys to any of the others fitness wise but I'm taking a chance... 1) Wiebe - hands down, this guy is an animal 2) Proudfoot - would have been interesting to see how he did at Vic Matthews, but from the OUAs results it looks as if the extra training did its job. 3) Nixon - defending champ will still medal but I don't know if he will beat either of those guys if they're on their game 4) Cassidy - Junior national champ from last year on a muddy ass course, this guy can dig. Vic needs him to be a low stick. 5) Walters - always shows up at nationals but I'm not sure if he can medal against such a deep distance lineup 6) Haight - this man has some magnificent hair, he also seems to step up big when his team needs him (and they will) 7) Hendrix - I know a lot of you aren't going to like this placing, ROY last year he came 6th, he's had a great a good and an ok race so far this year, I'm sure he has gotten fitter but so have a lot of other guys 8) Philibert-Thiboutot - fit and consistant, also coming off of a breakout outdoor season 9) Sikubwabo - great showing at OUA's had some inconsistencies early on 10) Oxland - has had some great races so far this season and has proved he can finally run with the big boys @willrunforbeer This is fun and all, but who have these Vic guys actually beaten to make you think they will suddenly be able to go man-for-man with Guelph. And how does Sikuwabo, who beat Nixon last week, suddenly end up all the way back in 9th? If anything he's been getting stronger as the season has progressed, as anyone familar with the scene in the east will tell you. In general, it's entertaining to think anyone can seriously challenge the strength of the OUA teams, but sober assessment-- and recent history-- says otherwise. Windsor may look like a weakened, no-name side this year, but UVIC will be doing very well to get by them, and will have zero chance of touching Guelph. Looking at the team rosters, this year looks set to be a very near repeat of last year. Uvic may nip Windsor, but Queen's may well nip one or both of them, and no one is touching Guelph, believe me. It's very unlikely that any team, as a whole, has raised or lowered its game all that much versus one another when the personelle are all so similar to last year.[/quote] @Oracle This. Guelph's 4th guy has run 14:14, and their top 3 easily handled him at OUA's. Think about that for a second. No one is coming anywhere close to Guelph this year, and for the foreseeable future.
Oracle wrote:
willrunforbeerI'm going to be the first one to say this (and most likely the only one) but I like an upset. No doubt DST will have his guys well tapered and ready to role as per usual on the 10th, but it looks like those boys from the island mean business. Also I think it's time for a change up and Fougners group has been there before. Guelph has an unmatched 1-2-3 punch and Yves ran a great race at OUAs, but relying on a first timer at the big dance can be a risk. Guelphs #5 is where they will win or lose this. They can't have their last counter over a minute behind their top guys like they did a couple weeks ago because at CIS that's a lot of places. I like the look of Victoria because their spread is tight! It's so hard to compare those guys to any of the others fitness wise but I'm taking a chance...

@willrunforbeer This is fun and all, but who have these Vic guys actually beaten to make you think they will suddenly be able to go man-for-man with Guelph. And how does Sikuwabo, who beat Nixon last week, suddenly end up all the way back in 9th? If anything he's been getting stronger as the season has progressed, as anyone familar with the scene in the east will tell you.

In general, it's entertaining to think anyone can seriously challenge the strength of the OUA teams, but sober assessment-- and recent history-- says otherwise. Windsor may look like a weakened, no-name side this year, but UVIC will be doing very well to get by them, and will have zero chance of touching Guelph. Looking at the team rosters, this year looks set to be a very near repeat of last year. Uvic may nip Windsor, but Queen's may well nip one or both of them, and no one is touching Guelph, believe me. It's very unlikely that any team, as a whole, has raised or lowered its game all that much versus one another when the personelle are all so similar to last year.

@Oracle

This. Guelph's 4th guy has run 14:14, and their top 3 easily handled him at OUA's. Think about that for a second. No one is coming anywhere close to Guelph this year, and for the foreseeable future.
11/06/2012 3:53:27 PM
User
@Oracle I totally understand your argument, and I realize that I'm a little off my rocker when I think Vic has a chance of beating Guelph this year, but I was more just pointing out the fact that it could happen. Those predictions were based on what it would take for Victoria to win. Granted, a lot of things would have to take place in order for this to occur. You can't compare times from race to race between the guys from out west and everyone in the OUA especially because it seems that the courses they are running on are considerably faster than the grassy muddy ones from out east which is what CIS are being held on. Victoria did beat two very good schools including the fifth ranked NCAA Div 2 school in Alaska Anchorage and the number 1 ranked NAIA school in Southern Oregon. Again, I have no doubt that Guelph would have also cleaned those two teams out in a race but Victoria looked pretty darn good. Sikuwabo did beat Nixon at OUAs and if he has a good race he will be challenging in the top 5, but if he doesn't run smart or tries to go with Weibe he could very well be off the back of that lead group (Griak). There's no way Vic can match Guelph having 3 guys in the top 5, or 4 in the top 7, if that happens Guelph runs away with it again. However, if one of their top guys have an off day (which doesn't usually happen come CI's) and Tommy or Grieve don't break into the top 20, we could have a race on our hands. Same thing goes for Victoria though, if the race doesn't go well for any of their top guys (although their depth seems to be pretty good) they could very well be checking over their shoulders for Windsor and Queens. It's a long shot but it would be pretty exciting to see Guelph at least challenged.
@Oracle
I totally understand your argument, and I realize that I'm a little off my rocker when I think Vic has a chance of beating Guelph this year, but I was more just pointing out the fact that it could happen. Those predictions were based on what it would take for Victoria to win. Granted, a lot of things would have to take place in order for this to occur. You can't compare times from race to race between the guys from out west and everyone in the OUA especially because it seems that the courses they are running on are considerably faster than the grassy muddy ones from out east which is what CIS are being held on. Victoria did beat two very good schools including the fifth ranked NCAA Div 2 school in Alaska Anchorage and the number 1 ranked NAIA school in Southern Oregon. Again, I have no doubt that Guelph would have also cleaned those two teams out in a race but Victoria looked pretty darn good.
Sikuwabo did beat Nixon at OUAs and if he has a good race he will be challenging in the top 5, but if he doesn't run smart or tries to go with Weibe he could very well be off the back of that lead group (Griak). There's no way Vic can match Guelph having 3 guys in the top 5, or 4 in the top 7, if that happens Guelph runs away with it again. However, if one of their top guys have an off day (which doesn't usually happen come CI's) and Tommy or Grieve don't break into the top 20, we could have a race on our hands. Same thing goes for Victoria though, if the race doesn't go well for any of their top guys (although their depth seems to be pretty good) they could very well be checking over their shoulders for Windsor and Queens.
It's a long shot but it would be pretty exciting to see Guelph at least challenged.
11/06/2012 4:25:05 PM
User
@willrunforbeer I think it comes down to this: Guelph will in all likelihood put four in front of Vic's #1. Cassidy may break in there, but I would be surprised at that happening. Vic very well could put 5 in front of Guelph's #5, but that won't be enough unless Guelph's 5th is WAY back. I'm talking in the 50s. That's not going to happen with Grieve, Lecours, and Holmes(?) on the job. Windsor has surprised me this year. I thought they were going to be depleted, especially after Janikowski got injured, but they've ran really well. I still see Vic taking them simply because of how tight Vic's pack is. That's a pack that includes 2011 AC Haight (who is not even their #1). Queens is good (a great pack) but they won't be touching Windsor or Vic. Windsor has dominated them all season. I would be surprised to see Queens beat Regina and they will probably have a lot on their hands with Laval.
@willrunforbeer

I think it comes down to this:

Guelph will in all likelihood put four in front of Vic's #1. Cassidy may break in there, but I would be surprised at that happening. Vic very well could put 5 in front of Guelph's #5, but that won't be enough unless Guelph's 5th is WAY back. I'm talking in the 50s. That's not going to happen with Grieve, Lecours, and Holmes(?) on the job.

Windsor has surprised me this year. I thought they were going to be depleted, especially after Janikowski got injured, but they've ran really well. I still see Vic taking them simply because of how tight Vic's pack is. That's a pack that includes 2011 AC Haight (who is not even their #1).

Queens is good (a great pack) but they won't be touching Windsor or Vic. Windsor has dominated them all season. I would be surprised to see Queens beat Regina and they will probably have a lot on their hands with Laval.
11/06/2012 7:36:08 PM
User
I think we should take an in depth look at Windsor taking down the favorites, sure people think they are lightyears away but that is exactly where i would want to be if i was gonna have a run for the W. Without the team drama of the guys they dropped this year they can fcus on what made them good in the first place... running. With their rookies running well and some guy doing lots of kegal exercises? i would say now is their time to strike
I think we should take an in depth look at Windsor taking down the favorites, sure people think they are lightyears away but that is exactly where i would want to be if i was gonna have a run for the W. Without the team drama of the guys they dropped this year they can fcus on what made them good in the first place... running. With their rookies running well and some guy doing lots of kegal exercises? i would say now is their time to strike
11/06/2012 7:38:00 PM
Coach
[quote=AnotherCanuck]@willrunforbeer I think it comes down to this: Guelph will in all likelihood put four in front of Vic's #1. Cassidy may break in there, but I would be surprised at that happening. Vic very well could put 5 in front of Guelph's #5, but that won't be enough unless Guelph's 5th is WAY back. I'm talking in the 50s. That's not going to happen with Grieve, Lecours, and Holmes(?) on the job. Windsor has surprised me this year. I thought they were going to be depleted, especially after Janikowski got injured, but they've ran really well. I still see Vic taking them simply because of how tight Vic's pack is. That's a pack that includes 2011 AC Haight (who is not even their #1). Queens is good (a great pack) but they won't be touching Windsor or Vic. Windsor has dominated them all season. I would be surprised to see Queens beat Regina and they will probably have a lot on their hands with Laval.[/quote] @AnotherCanuck O.K., that's just about enough of that. It's money-where-mouth-is time. I will give you 10 to 1 that Queen's beats Regina. We had a mediocre day at OUAs and finished 23 points behind Windsor (some "domination", and the only time we had all hands on deck). How are you going to fit one/two more teams in front us without either of them beating Windsor? Take a look at Regina's spread the last time they race-- about 2:30! Unless Weibe wins by a minute, ain't now way Regina is beating anyone of note. If one runner could make a team, then I'd be calling UofT over Guelph in the women's race. Jewett is as likely to dominate the women's race as Weibe is the men's.
AnotherCanuck wrote:
@willrunforbeer

I think it comes down to this:

Guelph will in all likelihood put four in front of Vic's #1. Cassidy may break in there, but I would be surprised at that happening. Vic very well could put 5 in front of Guelph's #5, but that won't be enough unless Guelph's 5th is WAY back. I'm talking in the 50s. That's not going to happen with Grieve, Lecours, and Holmes(?) on the job.

Windsor has surprised me this year. I thought they were going to be depleted, especially after Janikowski got injured, but they've ran really well. I still see Vic taking them simply because of how tight Vic's pack is. That's a pack that includes 2011 AC Haight (who is not even their #1).

Queens is good (a great pack) but they won't be touching Windsor or Vic. Windsor has dominated them all season. I would be surprised to see Queens beat Regina and they will probably have a lot on their hands with Laval.

@AnotherCanuck O.K., that's just about enough of that. It's money-where-mouth-is time. I will give you 10 to 1 that Queen's beats Regina. We had a mediocre day at OUAs and finished 23 points behind Windsor (some "domination", and the only time we had all hands on deck). How are you going to fit one/two more teams in front us without either of them beating Windsor? Take a look at Regina's spread the last time they race-- about 2:30! Unless Weibe wins by a minute, ain't now way Regina is beating anyone of note. If one runner could make a team, then I'd be calling UofT over Guelph in the women's race. Jewett is as likely to dominate the women's race as Weibe is the men's.
11/06/2012 8:29:48 PM
Coach
And, I will give you even odds that MAC beats Regina! It's easy to watch a team beat up on a bunch of nobodys in a weak field and get the impression that they're really doing something (and Regina has a huge spread even when unpressed). Here in the OUA, such an illusion is not possible. Teams have no idea how good they really are until they're lining up against bona fide NCAA D-1 top 30 contenders (of which this Guelph team would most certainly be one). To my knowledge, none of the non-OUA teams has done this. On to London!!!
And, I will give you even odds that MAC beats Regina!

It's easy to watch a team beat up on a bunch of nobodys in a weak field and get the impression that they're really doing something (and Regina has a huge spread even when unpressed). Here in the OUA, such an illusion is not possible. Teams have no idea how good they really are until they're lining up against bona fide NCAA D-1 top 30 contenders (of which this Guelph team would most certainly be one). To my knowledge, none of the non-OUA teams has done this.

On to London!!!
11/06/2012 8:30:57 PM
User
@oldster - This is what I like! Some fire in a thread that isn't about OFSAA! Haha.... alright Steve - $10 to the charity of the winners choice (I won't take you up on the 10-1 odds)? Don't get me wrong, I think Queens has a very, very strong program, I just think a lot of programs do as well. Regina's placing depends heavily on how well Strueby and Middlemiss run, but things are looking good based on their Stewart Cup run. Also, I would not be at all surprised by a victory in the 30+ second range for Kelly! Re: Regina vs. Mac...Regina did race in the D1 Griak race, albeit with a very poor showing. Let's limit the bet to Regina vs. Queens.
@oldster - This is what I like! Some fire in a thread that isn't about OFSAA!

Haha.... alright Steve - $10 to the charity of the winners choice (I won't take you up on the 10-1 odds)? Don't get me wrong, I think Queens has a very, very strong program, I just think a lot of programs do as well. Regina's placing depends heavily on how well Strueby and Middlemiss run, but things are looking good based on their Stewart Cup run. Also, I would not be at all surprised by a victory in the 30+ second range for Kelly!

Re: Regina vs. Mac...Regina did race in the D1 Griak race, albeit with a very poor showing. Let's limit the bet to Regina vs. Queens.
11/06/2012 8:50:04 PM
Coach
[quote=AnotherCanuck]@oldster - This is what I like! Some fire in a thread that isn't about OFSAA! Haha.... alright Steve - $10 to the charity of the winners choice (I won't take you up on the 10-1 odds)? Don't get me wrong, I think Queens has a very, very strong program, I just think a lot of programs do as well. Regina's placing depends heavily on how well Strueby and Middlemiss run, but things are looking good based on their Stewart Cup run. Also, I would not be at all surprised by a victory in the 30+ second range for Kelly! Re: Regina vs. Mac...Regina did race in the D1 Griak race, albeit with a very poor showing. Let's limit the bet to Regina vs. Queens.[/quote] @AnotherCanuck So, are you now implying that Mac beats Queen's? If you like this team, why not take both bets? And isn't the Stewart Cup the race in which Regina's spread was 2:30? Which, incidentally, was also their spread at Griak, and with Bainton (sp?) running: A poor showing or an entirely representative showing? If the spreads were the same in both races, odds are it's the latter. But wait, there's more! Their spread at the Sask Open, over only 7.5k, was 2:01. Unless Weibe is the second coming of Simon Bairu-- and the former is a low 29 road guy at his best-- there is no way he wins the race by more than the usual 10-20 secs, in which case there is no way Regina beats anyone in the OUA. They may even struggle with Lakehead! Finally, having watched them up close several times this year, I say the Guelph boys give Weibe all he can handle on Saturday. I think he'll win, but he should not be oversold.
AnotherCanuck wrote:
@oldster - This is what I like! Some fire in a thread that isn't about OFSAA!

Haha.... alright Steve - $10 to the charity of the winners choice (I won't take you up on the 10-1 odds)? Don't get me wrong, I think Queens has a very, very strong program, I just think a lot of programs do as well. Regina's placing depends heavily on how well Strueby and Middlemiss run, but things are looking good based on their Stewart Cup run. Also, I would not be at all surprised by a victory in the 30+ second range for Kelly!

Re: Regina vs. Mac...Regina did race in the D1 Griak race, albeit with a very poor showing. Let's limit the bet to Regina vs. Queens.

@AnotherCanuck So, are you now implying that Mac beats Queen's? If you like this team, why not take both bets? And isn't the Stewart Cup the race in which Regina's spread was 2:30? Which, incidentally, was also their spread at Griak, and with Bainton (sp?) running: A poor showing or an entirely representative showing? If the spreads were the same in both races, odds are it's the latter. But wait, there's more! Their spread at the Sask Open, over only 7.5k, was 2:01. Unless Weibe is the second coming of Simon Bairu-- and the former is a low 29 road guy at his best-- there is no way he wins the race by more than the usual 10-20 secs, in which case there is no way Regina beats anyone in the OUA. They may even struggle with Lakehead! Finally, having watched them up close several times this year, I say the Guelph boys give Weibe all he can handle on Saturday. I think he'll win, but he should not be oversold.
11/06/2012 9:28:30 PM
User
http://vikes.uvic.ca/news/2012/11/6/MXC_1106123753.aspx?path=mcross For a laugh involving the Vic taking down Guelph hype ^
http://vikes.uvic.ca/news/2012/11/6/MXC_1106123753.aspx?path=mcross

For a laugh involving the Vic taking down Guelph hype ^
11/07/2012 1:40:26 AM
User
@oldster No, I don't think Mac will beat you guys (see my predictions), so I'll more than gladly put another $10 on the Regina vs. Mac lineup. So $10 to the charity of the winner's choice for Queens vs. Regina and 10$ to the charity of the winners choice for Regina vs. Mac? I think it will be close between Queens and Regina, but I'm giving Regina the nod. So we assume they have same spread (ie. Fyfe, Johnson, Strueby, and Middlemiss are the same distance behind Kelly) at CIS as they had at Stewart. If we transplant that onto last year's CIS result and assume Kelly wins by the same margin Nixon won last year, that gives them 136 points (give or take for rapid math). That's good for fourth in 2011 and third in 2010. That's a very rough way of doing things, but it supports Regina having a strong team. I see Kelly winning by more, but that could be balanced out by an off day from one of the Cougs since they all ran reasonably well at Stewart. Once again, I'm not trying to knock Queens (or any other team) - I think you guys have a fantastic program. I just think a little bit of lively discussion is good for this forum, and I'm putting my money where my mouth is - which is behind Regina on race day. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Queen's finish fourth, so I very well could be eating crow come Saturday. Either way, it will be an exciting meet. The entire CIS is getting stronger and this isn't anything but a positive thing.
@oldster

No, I don't think Mac will beat you guys (see my predictions), so I'll more than gladly put another $10 on the Regina vs. Mac lineup. So $10 to the charity of the winner's choice for Queens vs. Regina and 10$ to the charity of the winners choice for Regina vs. Mac?

I think it will be close between Queens and Regina, but I'm giving Regina the nod. So we assume they have same spread (ie. Fyfe, Johnson, Strueby, and Middlemiss are the same distance behind Kelly) at CIS as they had at Stewart. If we transplant that onto last year's CIS result and assume Kelly wins by the same margin Nixon won last year, that gives them 136 points (give or take for rapid math). That's good for fourth in 2011 and third in 2010. That's a very rough way of doing things, but it supports Regina having a strong team. I see Kelly winning by more, but that could be balanced out by an off day from one of the Cougs since they all ran reasonably well at Stewart.

Once again, I'm not trying to knock Queens (or any other team) - I think you guys have a fantastic program. I just think a little bit of lively discussion is good for this forum, and I'm putting my money where my mouth is - which is behind Regina on race day. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Queen's finish fourth, so I very well could be eating crow come Saturday. Either way, it will be an exciting meet. The entire CIS is getting stronger and this isn't anything but a positive thing.
11/07/2012 10:43:10 AM
User
Does anybody know if the men's Stewart Cup course in Calgary was shortened from past years? Given the conditions (something like -10, windy, and several inches of snow on the ground, not to mention the altitude) the times seem very fast. When Kerr won CIS in 2006, he won Stewart Cup and didn't break 32 min there in windless, dry conditions. Regina's times this year were: 30:49, 32:19, 32:51, 33:01, 33:05. They would stack up very favorably against any team that has run that course under any conditions in the years that Stewart Cup has been held in Calgary (2004, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012). If those times are legit 10k times, then Regina has an excellent shot at a medal this year, regardless of their spread. Kelly Wiebe always destroys the field at Stewart Cup, but much more so than usual this year. The guy's a beast. He won the Sun Run 10k against some legit competition and I wouldn't be surprised at all if he could have gone 28-mid for 10k on the track if he got in the right race. Being 2 minutes back from a potential 28 minute 10k guy suddenly doesn't look quite so bad, assuming he hasn't been holding back in his races. He could very well run away from the field at CIS if that is his strategy, and it should be. Even if the course was short, this is a better Regina team than the one that finished 4th, with their 5th man finishing in 119th, place in 2009. This year, they have 5 guys who should all finish in the top-40. I think that Fyfe will be an All-Canadian. I'd be surprised if they lose to Queens. If the course was the same as past years, they may be able to finish as high as second.
Does anybody know if the men's Stewart Cup course in Calgary was shortened from past years? Given the conditions (something like -10, windy, and several inches of snow on the ground, not to mention the altitude) the times seem very fast. When Kerr won CIS in 2006, he won Stewart Cup and didn't break 32 min there in windless, dry conditions. Regina's times this year were: 30:49, 32:19, 32:51, 33:01, 33:05. They would stack up very favorably against any team that has run that course under any conditions in the years that Stewart Cup has been held in Calgary (2004, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012).

If those times are legit 10k times, then Regina has an excellent shot at a medal this year, regardless of their spread. Kelly Wiebe always destroys the field at Stewart Cup, but much more so than usual this year. The guy's a beast. He won the Sun Run 10k against some legit competition and I wouldn't be surprised at all if he could have gone 28-mid for 10k on the track if he got in the right race. Being 2 minutes back from a potential 28 minute 10k guy suddenly doesn't look quite so bad, assuming he hasn't been holding back in his races. He could very well run away from the field at CIS if that is his strategy, and it should be.

Even if the course was short, this is a better Regina team than the one that finished 4th, with their 5th man finishing in 119th, place in 2009. This year, they have 5 guys who should all finish in the top-40. I think that Fyfe will be an All-Canadian. I'd be surprised if they lose to Queens. If the course was the same as past years, they may be able to finish as high as second.
11/07/2012 11:16:15 AM
User
@warden Course was shortened roughly 150-200m per loop, I believe.
@warden

Course was shortened roughly 150-200m per loop, I believe.
11/07/2012 11:23:24 AM
User
@AnotherCanuck I was helping with course setup at stewart and it was about 60-80 metres short per lap. Measured with my garmin albeit but still haha.
@AnotherCanuck
I was helping with course setup at stewart and it was about 60-80 metres short per lap. Measured with my garmin albeit but still haha.
11/07/2012 1:43:55 PM
User
@bbbc Thanks, guys. If 60-80m/lap is correct, then those are still some respectable times for that course and in those conditions.
@bbbc

Thanks, guys. If 60-80m/lap is correct, then those are still some respectable times for that course and in those conditions.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.