Poll: OFSAA champions that run well post collegiate

Option Votes Score
1 100%
1 Votes

Vote!
OFSAA champions that run well post collegiate
10/16/2012 9:28:14 PM
Coach
With all the "OFSAA Olympics" talk on here just curious to know which OFSAA champs have run well post collegiately?
With all the "OFSAA Olympics" talk on here just curious to know which OFSAA champs have run well post collegiately?
10/16/2012 9:38:29 PM
User
@oasis An obvious one is Mohammed Ahmed
@oasis

An obvious one is Mohammed Ahmed
10/16/2012 9:43:58 PM
User
@IplayRS247 Mo isn't post collegiate quite yet.
@IplayRS247
Mo isn't post collegiate quite yet.
10/16/2012 10:07:28 PM
User
@oasis K-Sully and Dylan Wykes are two obvious choices
@oasis
K-Sully and Dylan Wykes are two obvious choices
10/17/2012 7:29:50 AM
User
Nathan Brannen.
Nathan Brannen.
10/17/2012 12:25:38 PM
User
Matt Hughes
Matt Hughes
10/17/2012 1:27:06 PM
User
A more interesting question: How many grade 9 OFSAA champions have run well post collegiate? The two obvious ones are Dylan Wykes and Kevin Sullivan (not sure if Brannen won in grade 9 as well). By the end of high school, the top OFSAA kids are generally good candidates to be the best post collegiate runners as well. At this point, most of these kids are training seriously and all of them are physically developed. In grade 9, however, very few kids are training seriously (with some not training at all) and some kids are well ahead of others in terms of physical development. With all of the attention that goes to "prodigies" and grade 9 OFSAA champs, how many of them actually turn into decent post collegiate runners? I'm genuinely interested, because my recollection of OFSAA Champions only goes back 5-6 years or so.
A more interesting question: How many grade 9 OFSAA champions have run well post collegiate? The two obvious ones are Dylan Wykes and Kevin Sullivan (not sure if Brannen won in grade 9 as well). By the end of high school, the top OFSAA kids are generally good candidates to be the best post collegiate runners as well. At this point, most of these kids are training seriously and all of them are physically developed. In grade 9, however, very few kids are training seriously (with some not training at all) and some kids are well ahead of others in terms of physical development.

With all of the attention that goes to "prodigies" and grade 9 OFSAA champs, how many of them actually turn into decent post collegiate runners? I'm genuinely interested, because my recollection of OFSAA Champions only goes back 5-6 years or so.
10/18/2012 10:04:50 AM
User
@JungleJack Heres a link to all the past ofsaa champs: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AmJzOO5Zsh45dE5KOVIxMXgtQWdUM3k4Z2xDR3prblE&output=html Sully and Wykes both won in grade 9, as well as a fair few winners who have gone on to have good collegiate careers (Paul Janikowski, Matt Leeder, Mike Woods, Jay Morill, etc)
@JungleJack Heres a link to all the past ofsaa champs: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AmJzOO5Zsh45dE5KOVIxMXgtQWdUM3k4Z2xDR3prblE&output=html

Sully and Wykes both won in grade 9, as well as a fair few winners who have gone on to have good collegiate careers (Paul Janikowski, Matt Leeder, Mike Woods, Jay Morill, etc)
10/18/2012 10:11:55 AM
Power User
Ricardo Santos is doing a good job as a coach at Iona. Men ranked 5th.
Ricardo Santos is doing a good job as a coach at Iona. Men ranked 5th.
10/20/2012 9:01:53 PM
Coach
@JungleJack look ar Reid C. what was his OFSAA career like? He is IMO Canada's best distance runner for the past 5+ years. Injuries cost him at run at the 5km and 10km records. This guy is the definition of long term athlete development.
@JungleJack look ar Reid C. what was his OFSAA career like? He is IMO Canada's best distance runner for the past 5+ years. Injuries cost him at run at the 5km and 10km records. This guy is the definition of long term athlete development.
10/20/2012 11:20:31 PM
User
Where is Matt Leader at these days? He was a force in OFSAA each year.
Where is Matt Leader at these days? He was a force in OFSAA each year.
10/21/2012 11:51:57 AM
User
[quote=oasis]look ar Reid C. what was his OFSAA career like? He is IMO Canada's best distance runner for the past 5+ years. Injuries cost him at run at the 5km and 10km records. This guy is the definition of long term athlete development.[/quote] When he speaks to groups he talks about how he didn't have a spectacular high school career. Keep in mind that he was an elite downhill skier so track and x-c probably weren't a priority. His best OFSAA result(I think) was about 6th in the steeple. I am pretty sure he didn't make the top team at Guelph his first year there. DST on him: "Reid was fighting for every little spot. It wasn’t about medals. He wasn’t top 10. He was 18th, I think, so he was a good athlete. And I just remember, here was a guy who was scrapping to finish 18th instead of 19th." http://www.thestar.com/sports/london2012/article/1220635--london-2012-like-kenyans-reid-coolsaet-gaining-speed-from-group-runs
asis wrote:
look ar Reid C. what was his OFSAA career like? He is IMO Canada's best distance runner for the past 5+ years. Injuries cost him at run at the 5km and 10km records. This guy is the definition of long term athlete development.

When he speaks to groups he talks about how he didn't have a spectacular high school career. Keep in mind that he was an elite downhill skier so track and x-c probably weren't a priority. His best OFSAA result(I think) was about 6th in the steeple. I am pretty sure he didn't make the top team at Guelph his first year there.

DST on him:

"Reid was fighting for every little spot. It wasn't about medals. He wasn't top 10. He was 18th, I think, so he was a good athlete. And I just remember, here was a guy who was scrapping to finish 18th instead of 19th."

http://www.thestar.com/sports/london2012/article/1220635--london-2012-like-kenyans-reid-coolsaet-gaining-speed-from-group-runs

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.