CIS PREDS 2012
10/06/2012 7:01:38 PM
User
Lets get into it! Who will be the top 20, top teams, darkhorses?! I'm curious to what you guys think!
Lets get into it! Who will be the top 20, top teams, darkhorses?!

I'm curious to what you guys think!
10/07/2012 11:59:30 AM
User
Men's predictions: 1 - Guelph This umpteenth repeat title is theirs to lose. Nixon, Proudfoot, Yves, and Hendrikx are all 1st team All-Canadian material and they have a couple of other guys (e.g. Lecours) capable of a top 15-20 performance. Even if two of their top five have a bad day they should have this locked up. 2 - Victoria The Vikes look really good this year. The last race at Western Washington saw them beat UAA. Cassidy, Oxland, and Haight look like a strong front three. The big Q's (that could cement their status as #2) are Hulse and an even more questionable Collin. Still, they have a strong supporting cast with guys like Clouthier, Therrien, and Pstotka. 3 - Queens The Gaels look like the real deal this year. Archer looks good, Loney looks really good, and they have depth up the yingyang. I think 3 through 7 are very tight so it might just be this depth that pushes them onto the podium 4 - Windsor Low sticks count a lot at CIS, and Walters/Janikowski gives them a strong 1-2 punch. The rest of the Lancers are no scrubs, but a hunch tells me that Queens will pack way too tight and just beat them out for a podium finish. 5 - Regina I'm going to go ahead and call barring a disaster (or a far more likely overuse injury), Kelly Wiebe will win CIS. That means the Cougs are only scoring four. The "Dream Team" actually looks pretty good on paper, but there were some tough days at both Griak and this weekend's meet in Saskatoon. That being said, Baiton and Fyfe are both former All-Canadians, and Johnson finished 23rd at the big dance last year. This team will pull it together for a top-5 performance, and certainly could finish much higher. 6 - McMaster Mac is a completely different team this year. Colonel Sanders is in great form and Darlington looks like he's not too far behind. The rest of the Marauders have risen to the challenge and the end result should be a huge improvement over last year. 7 - Laval Laval is good. 3-7 were tough for me to score and someone had to come out at the bottom. If this was a 1000m race I would give the Rouge et Or the nod for the win. Unfortunately not everything in life can be a track race and 10km XC is a whole different animal. Chuck should rebound nicely from a disappointing showing last year and challenge for first team honours, but it's the spread of the pack that concerns me. Boisevert and Labranche are solid 2-3 guys but it falls off a reasonable amount after that. I know rumour has it that JS is healthy and ready to go, but I'm going to keep the boys from Quebec slotted in seventh until I'm proven otherwise. 8 - Calgary The Dinos were 8th last year, I figure they'll finish somewhere around there again. Bickley looks like a much improved XC runner and Hadfield is no slouch. We haven't seen much from the Dinos yet this year, so who knows really what their potential is. 9 - St. FX I'll put St. FX here because a team from the East usually finishes in the top 10. However, the lack of internet access east of Quebec means this team will be a mystery come championship day. 10 - Lakehead This spot was a toss up for maybe another CanWest team (U of A?) or the 5th OUA team. I decided to make it the 5th OUA team and call what many would consider an upset over the more highly touted UofT and Western. The 'Wolves have upgraded on Browns and will be taking names this year. Honourable Mentions that could easily finish top ten: Alberta, Toronto, Western, Trinity Western
Men's predictions:

1 - Guelph

This umpteenth repeat title is theirs to lose. Nixon, Proudfoot, Yves, and Hendrikx are all 1st team All-Canadian material and they have a couple of other guys (e.g. Lecours) capable of a top 15-20 performance. Even if two of their top five have a bad day they should have this locked up.

2 - Victoria

The Vikes look really good this year. The last race at Western Washington saw them beat UAA. Cassidy, Oxland, and Haight look like a strong front three. The big Q's (that could cement their status as #2) are Hulse and an even more questionable Collin. Still, they have a strong supporting cast with guys like Clouthier, Therrien, and Pstotka.

3 - Queens

The Gaels look like the real deal this year. Archer looks good, Loney looks really good, and they have depth up the yingyang. I think 3 through 7 are very tight so it might just be this depth that pushes them onto the podium

4 - Windsor

Low sticks count a lot at CIS, and Walters/Janikowski gives them a strong 1-2 punch. The rest of the Lancers are no scrubs, but a hunch tells me that Queens will pack way too tight and just beat them out for a podium finish.

5 - Regina

I'm going to go ahead and call barring a disaster (or a far more likely overuse injury), Kelly Wiebe will win CIS. That means the Cougs are only scoring four. The "Dream Team" actually looks pretty good on paper, but there were some tough days at both Griak and this weekend's meet in Saskatoon. That being said, Baiton and Fyfe are both former All-Canadians, and Johnson finished 23rd at the big dance last year. This team will pull it together for a top-5 performance, and certainly could finish much higher.

6 - McMaster

Mac is a completely different team this year. Colonel Sanders is in great form and Darlington looks like he's not too far behind. The rest of the Marauders have risen to the challenge and the end result should be a huge improvement over last year.

7 - Laval

Laval is good. 3-7 were tough for me to score and someone had to come out at the bottom. If this was a 1000m race I would give the Rouge et Or the nod for the win. Unfortunately not everything in life can be a track race and 10km XC is a whole different animal. Chuck should rebound nicely from a disappointing showing last year and challenge for first team honours, but it's the spread of the pack that concerns me. Boisevert and Labranche are solid 2-3 guys but it falls off a reasonable amount after that. I know rumour has it that JS is healthy and ready to go, but I'm going to keep the boys from Quebec slotted in seventh until I'm proven otherwise.

8 - Calgary

The Dinos were 8th last year, I figure they'll finish somewhere around there again. Bickley looks like a much improved XC runner and Hadfield is no slouch. We haven't seen much from the Dinos yet this year, so who knows really what their potential is.

9 - St. FX

I'll put St. FX here because a team from the East usually finishes in the top 10. However, the lack of internet access east of Quebec means this team will be a mystery come championship day.

10 - Lakehead

This spot was a toss up for maybe another CanWest team (U of A?) or the 5th OUA team. I decided to make it the 5th OUA team and call what many would consider an upset over the more highly touted UofT and Western. The 'Wolves have upgraded on Browns and will be taking names this year.

Honourable Mentions that could easily finish top ten: Alberta, Toronto, Western, Trinity Western
10/08/2012 7:14:53 PM
User
1) Guelph Obvious choice, too much power and depth to surrender #1...Nixon, Proudfoot, Yves, Hendrikx, Hinton, Lecours, whole slew of other talents Now the fun begins, lots of possibilities for the order of the next 9 slots, early season results have been interesting but as with any sport, the best way to predict is by feel: 2) Queens I got a good feeling about this group. Archer proved himself last year, Loney is back from a season away and showed he's fitter than ever with a great 5km this summer, Leboeuf, McGraw,Patterson, Cashin, there`s lots of depth here and I think surely 5 of them can come together big this year. Not to mention Steve Boyd knows how to get the job done, and being the third year with him at the helm (I believe, could be wrong)the effects of his program should be showing strong by now. 3) UVic These guys always always show up big at the dance, great program and strong recruiting. Childs is a big loss, but Haight, Cassidy are a solid 1-2, Bocksnick was 27th last year as a rookie I believe and Clouthier is another returning top 30 from last year, throw in Matt Hulse and this team should be top 3. 4) Windsor I think the Lancers will finish outside the top 3 because I feel like they lost a lot of their veteran runners? I wouldn't mind seeing Walters take the 'W' to end his last season and complete the distance supremacy he started last track season. Janikowski will be right with him making an excellent top 2, and Falk is there third as far as I know after they lost a lot of veterans, but I trust that their program has enough depth and attraction to produce 2 more solid runners to ensure a top 5 finish. 5) Laval The Frenchmen cracked the top 5 last year and they should do so again. They had a great track season and I'm sure are hungry to challenge for a top 3 spot. Charles ran a 25:09 8km recently, and with a lot of returning players these guys have to smell blood. 6) Regina Kelly Wiebe. A healthy Kelly Wiebe is scary and so far he looks strong. If Fyfe returns to form, and Johnson can repeat a top 25 performance, then their top 3 is solid. I don't know who will round out their squad, but with a very low score from Wiebe, these guys may have 4 vs everyone else's 5. 7) St. Fx These guys were 9th last year, but 20 points out of 6. Their lead runner MaGuire ran a 8:28 last track season and finished 31 at CIS while losing a shoe early on so he is top 20 material. Their whole team is returning from last year, one can only assume they`re are more fit plus they added two strong rookies in Lee Wessalius and Scott Donald. Those two should be enough to propel X to the top 6 this year, or at least into the top 7. 8) MacMaster Young team, lost a lot of key parts to last year`s top 6 team. Sources say their young guns have worked hard though and are able to maintain last year`s finish, however I think they will drop slightly. 9)UofT No big ringers that I know of but a team that did well last year and is mostly returning plus the addition of a great rookie in Chris Moyer. Pavelic, Hamilton, Ahmed, and Denault are all back and Denault is rob`s brother so he should be able to improve hahaha. 10) Calgary For no other reason than they were a top 8 team last year although that`s not saying much. I dont know who is back, but Merry should be who was a top 20 runner last year and Bickell. The pool of good runners really weakens by here, but there may just be a lot of runners I don`t know about or am forgetting. Darkhorse: to be determined... This really could go to any team not on the radar seeing as once your off the radar your probably entering a rebuilding stage and any team that convinces 5 guys to put in 6 months of consistent hard work should be able to crack the top 10. I`ll get back to this one as we get closer to Conference meets, but I do have a good idea.
1) Guelph
Obvious choice, too much power and depth to surrender #1...Nixon, Proudfoot, Yves, Hendrikx, Hinton, Lecours, whole slew of other talents

Now the fun begins, lots of possibilities for the order of the next 9 slots, early season results have been interesting but as with any sport, the best way to predict is by feel:

2) Queens
I got a good feeling about this group. Archer proved himself last year, Loney is back from a season away and showed he's fitter than ever with a great 5km this summer, Leboeuf, McGraw,Patterson, Cashin, there`s lots of depth here and I think surely 5 of them can come together big this year. Not to mention Steve Boyd knows how to get the job done, and being the third year with him at the helm (I believe, could be wrong)the effects of his program should be showing strong by now.

3) UVic
These guys always always show up big at the dance, great program and strong recruiting. Childs is a big loss, but Haight, Cassidy are a solid 1-2, Bocksnick was 27th last year as a rookie I believe and Clouthier is another returning top 30 from last year,
throw in Matt Hulse and this team should be top 3.

4) Windsor
I think the Lancers will finish outside the top 3 because I feel like they lost a lot of their veteran runners? I wouldn't mind seeing Walters take the 'W' to end his last season and complete the distance supremacy he started last track season. Janikowski will be right with him making an excellent top 2, and Falk is there third as far as I know after they lost a lot of veterans, but I trust that their program has enough depth and attraction to produce 2 more solid runners to ensure a top 5 finish.

5) Laval
The Frenchmen cracked the top 5 last year and they should do so again. They had a great track season and I'm sure are hungry to challenge for a top 3 spot. Charles ran a 25:09 8km recently, and with a lot of returning players these guys have to smell blood.

6) Regina
Kelly Wiebe. A healthy Kelly Wiebe is scary and so far he looks strong. If Fyfe returns to form, and Johnson can repeat a top 25 performance, then their top 3 is solid. I don't know who will round out their squad, but with a very low score from Wiebe, these guys may have 4 vs everyone else's 5.

7) St. Fx
These guys were 9th last year, but 20 points out of 6. Their lead runner MaGuire ran a 8:28 last track season and finished 31 at CIS while losing a shoe early on so he is top 20 material. Their whole team is returning from last year, one can only assume they`re are more fit plus they added two strong rookies in Lee Wessalius and Scott Donald. Those two should be enough to propel X to the top 6 this year, or at least into the top 7.

8) MacMaster
Young team, lost a lot of key parts to last year`s top 6 team. Sources say their young guns have worked hard though and are able to maintain last year`s finish, however I think they will drop slightly.

9)UofT
No big ringers that I know of but a team that did well last year and is mostly returning plus the addition of a great rookie in Chris Moyer. Pavelic, Hamilton, Ahmed, and Denault are all back and Denault is rob`s brother so he should be able to improve hahaha.

10) Calgary
For no other reason than they were a top 8 team last year although that`s not saying much. I dont know who is back, but Merry should be who was a top 20 runner last year and Bickell. The pool of good runners really weakens by here, but there may just be a lot of runners I don`t know about or am forgetting.

Darkhorse: to be determined...
This really could go to any team not on the radar seeing as once your off the radar your probably entering a rebuilding stage and any team that convinces 5 guys to put in 6 months of consistent hard work should be able to crack the top 10. I`ll get back to this one as we get closer to Conference meets, but I do have a good idea.
10/08/2012 8:55:04 PM
Power User
Leboeuf is not at Queen's anymore.
Leboeuf is not at Queen's anymore.
10/10/2012 2:15:04 PM
User
I have an inside track saying Algoma is going to be doing some huge things this year at CIS'. possible contender for a medal?
I have an inside track saying Algoma is going to be doing some huge things this year at CIS'. possible contender for a medal?
10/12/2012 10:56:00 AM
User
You guys cant be serious you honestly think windsor will not medal haha they got depth top 9 guys on their team can all go 25 mid and under theyll win Silver at CIS hands down
You guys cant be serious you honestly think windsor will not medal haha they got depth top 9 guys on their team can all go 25 mid and under theyll win Silver at CIS hands down
10/12/2012 4:25:07 PM
User
@seagull100 Windsor is a very good team and it wouldn't surprise me to see them finish second. That being said, they are hardly a shoe-in. Here are the results from the last meet: Walters - 24:28 Falk - 25:12 Meloche - 25:12 Kegal - 25:26 Bolton - 25:33 Lamarra - 26:28 First of all (to get technical), that's hardly a top-nine mid-25. Toss in Janikowski and maybe a couple of the rookies that ran at Western and you might get there, at this meet. Times are pretty pointless to look at in XC, because the majority of these guys running 25-low to mid were running 26-low to mid at Western. Times vary by courses. The fact of the matter is the majority of the Lancer boys are finishing about a minute to a one thirty (when extrapolated to 10km) out of the win (assuming Walters, Nixon etc. are going to be very close to the winning time). Looking at some results of last year (say OUAs), a minute back of the win would put you around where DeGroot and Falk finished last year (14th and 15th). A minute and a half would put you in the 20s. Those are still very respectable finishes, but DeGroot and Falk were the #5 and 6 guys last year....this year it looks like those kind of performances might be #2 and #3 for the Lancers this year (if Paul can't get over his injury). That's a big drop from last year. Also, if we're only looking at times, Vic packed in like five guys at 31-low to mid last weekend. Obviously it's a fast course, but you get my point. This isn't supposed to be me ripping on the Lancers - I'd love to see them do well. I just want to generate some more CIS discussion on this site..which is paling considerably compared with the OFSAA talk!
@seagull100

Windsor is a very good team and it wouldn't surprise me to see them finish second. That being said, they are hardly a shoe-in.

Here are the results from the last meet:

Walters - 24:28
Falk - 25:12
Meloche - 25:12
Kegal - 25:26
Bolton - 25:33
Lamarra - 26:28

First of all (to get technical), that's hardly a top-nine mid-25. Toss in Janikowski and maybe a couple of the rookies that ran at Western and you might get there, at this meet. Times are pretty pointless to look at in XC, because the majority of these guys running 25-low to mid were running 26-low to mid at Western. Times vary by courses.

The fact of the matter is the majority of the Lancer boys are finishing about a minute to a one thirty (when extrapolated to 10km) out of the win (assuming Walters, Nixon etc. are going to be very close to the winning time). Looking at some results of last year (say OUAs), a minute back of the win would put you around where DeGroot and Falk finished last year (14th and 15th). A minute and a half would put you in the 20s. Those are still very respectable finishes, but DeGroot and Falk were the #5 and 6 guys last year....this year it looks like those kind of performances might be #2 and #3 for the Lancers this year (if Paul can't get over his injury). That's a big drop from last year.

Also, if we're only looking at times, Vic packed in like five guys at 31-low to mid last weekend. Obviously it's a fast course, but you get my point.

This isn't supposed to be me ripping on the Lancers - I'd love to see them do well. I just want to generate some more CIS discussion on this site..which is paling considerably compared with the OFSAA talk!
10/12/2012 9:42:04 PM
User
[quote=AnotherCanuck]@seagull100 This isn't supposed to be me ripping on the Lancers - I'd love to see them do well. I just want to generate some more CIS discussion on this site..which is paling considerably compared with the OFSAA talk![/quote] @AnotherCanuck Damn straight! OFSAA is the greatest event in the world! More important than the Olympics, that's for sure
AnotherCanuck wrote:
@seagull100

This isn't supposed to be me ripping on the Lancers - I'd love to see them do well. I just want to generate some more CIS discussion on this site..which is paling considerably compared with the OFSAA talk!

@AnotherCanuck

Damn straight! OFSAA is the greatest event in the world! More important than the Olympics, that's for sure

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.