Musings after the Trials (both US and Canada)
07/03/2012 2:32:54 PM
User
The more I think about it, the more ridiculous it was to have the Can trials at altitude. It effectively rendered all races 1500m and up moot. The only things that could have happened were all bad-Mo, Levins or Brannen falling or being dqed. AC should have sponsored a high performance meet with pacers 3-4 weeks before to give all realistic candidates a chance to hit the standards. I think Sheila Reid should be going, but she did miss the requirements. Maybe 2 5k Bs is too much to ask. Probably one plus one other good result, like her 4:07 1500 should have been enough. But the bottom line is that she is clearly the most rising star of women mid distance runners, and should be there. She would have made the final for sure if the heats had any tactics involved. Finally, I am always interested in good coaching. In the US, John Cook got his two stars, Shannon Rowbury and Leo manzano to be ready when it counted, both in hotly contested 1500 fields. That was impressive to me.
The more I think about it, the more ridiculous it was to have the Can trials at altitude. It effectively rendered all races 1500m and up moot. The only things that could have happened were all bad-Mo, Levins or Brannen falling or being dqed.

AC should have sponsored a high performance meet with pacers 3-4 weeks before to give all realistic candidates a chance to hit the standards.

I think Sheila Reid should be going, but she did miss the requirements. Maybe 2 5k Bs is too much to ask. Probably one plus one other good result, like her 4:07 1500 should have been enough. But the bottom line is that she is clearly the most rising star of women mid distance runners, and should be there. She would have made the final for sure if the heats had any tactics involved.
Finally, I am always interested in good coaching. In the US, John Cook got his two stars, Shannon Rowbury and Leo manzano to be ready when it counted, both in hotly contested 1500 fields. That was impressive to me.
07/03/2012 4:21:19 PM
User
I'm a little bummed out that we dont have a mens 4X4 team......it seems like the last few countries on the list are running around 3:02-3:04 this year.....Canada could have easily put together a team to run around that time. Why doesnt AC put a team together for events like Penn and Drake or anywhere for that matter to just get a time to be seeded. We could have had 4 young 400m runners go represent the country and gain a lot of experience.... guys like Harper and Harris could have a huge benefit from competing at the games at a young age....
I'm a little bummed out that we dont have a mens 4X4 team......it seems like the last few countries on the list are running around 3:02-3:04 this year.....Canada could have easily put together a team to run around that time. Why doesnt AC put a team together for events like Penn and Drake or anywhere for that matter to just get a time to be seeded. We could have had 4 young 400m runners go represent the country and gain a lot of experience.... guys like Harper and Harris could have a huge benefit from competing at the games at a young age....
07/03/2012 10:28:53 PM
User
@kingwwc It's actually amazing to me how we can't seem to develop good 400m runners - men and women. It shouldn't be that hard to get a few good athletes under 46. Why have we been so poor since Christopher retired?
@kingwwc

It's actually amazing to me how we can't seem to develop good 400m runners - men and women. It shouldn't be that hard to get a few good athletes under 46. Why have we been so poor since Christopher retired?
07/04/2012 9:48:42 AM
User
@Canrunner2662 I think we have good 400m runners....obviously we dont have the 44point guys like tyler, but we do have a few 45guys that I think would put together a solid team.....Harper and Moona were both part of a team that ran 3:01 down at Southern Plains this year...Thats ranked in the top 10 in the world this year....if we threw Harris and one other with those two, they could without a doubt compete for another 3:01 performance.....why doesnt Canada push for a Men's 4by4 team.....how do the relay teams even come together? Why do we send 4by1 teams to meets and not 4by4 teams? is it funding related?
@Canrunner2662

I think we have good 400m runners....obviously we dont have the 44point guys like tyler, but we do have a few 45guys that I think would put together a solid team.....Harper and Moona were both part of a team that ran 3:01 down at Southern Plains this year...Thats ranked in the top 10 in the world this year....if we threw Harris and one other with those two, they could without a doubt compete for another 3:01 performance.....why doesnt Canada push for a Men's 4by4 team.....how do the relay teams even come together? Why do we send 4by1 teams to meets and not 4by4 teams? is it funding related?
07/04/2012 10:14:29 AM
User
I agree that 4x4 should be a high priority. For comparison sake, England is thinking medals with about the same base talent. Its a shame for Christian Brennan to not get to go, as I do think we could run 3:24 on a perfect day. Similarly Tremaine Harris. Will these two be there in 4 years?
I agree that 4x4 should be a high priority. For comparison sake, England is thinking medals with about the same base talent. Its a shame for Christian Brennan to not get to go, as I do think we could run 3:24 on a perfect day. Similarly Tremaine Harris.
Will these two be there in 4 years?
07/09/2012 3:45:32 PM
User
Not much discussion going on here. Did everyone see the 5k result from Paris? Wow. 12:50 pace finished off with a 54 sec last lap for 12:46. Suddenly Bernard Lagat and Galen Rupp look a little less likely to be on the podium. And on the women's side, 6 or 8 Russians ran sub 2 at their trials, and 3 sub 4. For every step we go forward the world seems to go two.
Not much discussion going on here. Did everyone see the 5k result from Paris? Wow.
12:50 pace finished off with a 54 sec last lap for 12:46. Suddenly Bernard Lagat and Galen Rupp look a little less likely to be on the podium.
And on the women's side, 6 or 8 Russians ran sub 2 at their trials, and 3 sub 4.
For every step we go forward the world seems to go two.
07/09/2012 7:36:50 PM
User
@powerboy ah im not saying the 1246 guy is gonna lose, but lets remember that their is rounds before the finals.....Olympics don't exactly tend to be a blazing race......i think Rupp has a great chance to medal, I also think Lagat can kick with the best of them. Whose to say mr Levins cant kick down the last 200 and grab a top 7 spot......the beauty of the sport and the Olympics....if you make that final, you most likely have a shot at a medal depending on the tactics deployed....Im excited to watch!
@powerboy

ah im not saying the 1246 guy is gonna lose, but lets remember that their is rounds before the finals.....Olympics don't exactly tend to be a blazing race......i think Rupp has a great chance to medal, I also think Lagat can kick with the best of them. Whose to say mr Levins cant kick down the last 200 and grab a top 7 spot......the beauty of the sport and the Olympics....if you make that final, you most likely have a shot at a medal depending on the tactics deployed....Im excited to watch!

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.