What would it take?
06/12/2011 11:26:40 AM
User
What would it take to make Track and Field as big in Canada and the U.S.as it is in Europe? Track is huge in Europe.UFC is getting bigger here. How do we get the same results for Track and Field?Or is that even possible? Dr.Heartons Peace
What would it take to make Track and Field as big in Canada and the U.S.as it is in Europe?
Track is huge in Europe.UFC is getting bigger here.

How do we get the same results for Track and Field?Or is that even possible?

Dr.Heartons

Peace
06/13/2011 9:02:32 PM
User
Well in Canada it would take 1. more elite races, which won't empty your wallet when you go. We need track to be a nice thing you can do on the weekend. More people come out to these races, the more they become involved with the track & field community. 2. We need both better coverage and better schedual. I don't want to be frustrated while watching a track meet. I don't want commercial brakes during a race, I don't want a 5000m race walk between a 400m Final and a 3000m final! I also don't want to see a 1:45 by a college kid with depressed announcer. If I watch a race, or go to one we need to be entertained! Canada and USA has the runners. Just look at road races or school cross country. We simply need to take these athletes and have them indulged into track. Have them go out and watch there elites race. We need this to become more then just a side hoobie for the majority of these runners
Well in Canada it would take
1. more elite races, which won't empty your wallet when you go. We need track to be a nice thing you can do on the weekend. More people come out to these races, the more they become involved with the track & field community.
2. We need both better coverage and better schedual. I don't want to be frustrated while watching a track meet. I don't want commercial brakes during a race, I don't want a 5000m race walk between a 400m Final and a 3000m final! I also don't want to see a 1:45 by a college kid with depressed announcer. If I watch a race, or go to one we need to be entertained!

Canada and USA has the runners. Just look at road races or school cross country. We simply need to take these athletes and have them indulged into track. Have them go out and watch there elites race. We need this to become more then just a side hoobie for the majority of these runners
06/14/2011 2:43:10 PM
User
@veg602 To try and make track big in Canada like it is in the US is like trying to make football bigger than hockey. Track is big in the US because they value 2 things very highly; the military and sports. Of those sports, track and football are the two big sports. It comes down to the culture of the country. In Canada, we value academics and scholars first and sports second (in the context of comparing the two). It is much easier to get cultural support for doctors, lawyers, researchers and the like than is it to get support for an Olympian. You may not like it, but how often do we see athletes (not counting hockey) having to work a part time job or living just above the poverty line to make an Olympic dream happen? It takes the Olympics for people to actually care about their athletes and often those athletes are put under huge pressure to perform, yet are usually forgotten a few weeks after competition. For the first time, in Vancouver, people actually started to figure out that no money = no medals. Canadian athletes do exceedingly well for the money and attention they are given. Running specifically is a niche sport in Canada. Any time I've ever told someone, even a fellow runner I run 7 days a week, it's like I am some sort of super-human running god. You also have people everywhere cat calling and jeering if they see anyone who looks like a half serious runner. Run Forrest, Run!. People in Canada frankly don't care about running and most of the time think it is a joke because they don't understand it. Venture on down to California or any place where sports are ingrained in the culture and its flat out accepted in that place.
@veg602 To try and make track big in Canada like it is in the US is like trying to make football bigger than hockey. Track is big in the US because they value 2 things very highly; the military and sports. Of those sports, track and football are the two big sports. It comes down to the culture of the country.

In Canada, we value academics and scholars first and sports second (in the context of comparing the two). It is much easier to get cultural support for doctors, lawyers, researchers and the like than is it to get support for an Olympian. You may not like it, but how often do we see athletes (not counting hockey) having to work a part time job or living just above the poverty line to make an Olympic dream happen? It takes the Olympics for people to actually care about their athletes and often those athletes are put under huge pressure to perform, yet are usually forgotten a few weeks after competition. For the first time, in Vancouver, people actually started to figure out that no money = no medals. Canadian athletes do exceedingly well for the money and attention they are given.

Running specifically is a niche sport in Canada. Any time I've ever told someone, even a fellow runner I run 7 days a week, it's like I am some sort of super-human running god. You also have people everywhere cat calling and jeering if they see anyone who looks like a half serious runner. Run Forrest, Run!. People in Canada frankly don't care about running and most of the time think it is a joke because they don't understand it. Venture on down to California or any place where sports are ingrained in the culture and its flat out accepted in that place.
06/14/2011 4:36:32 PM
User
@JackFin yeah thats real talk, but I usually just moon the people that they're funny
@JackFin yeah thats real talk, but I usually just moon the people that they're funny
06/14/2011 5:19:11 PM
User
@IplayRS247 Can't say I haven't done that a couple times. I've also been chased for flipping people off before, once for being spat at and other times after almost being egged. It's a sweet life, makes easy runs interesting though!
@IplayRS247

Can't say I haven't done that a couple times. I've also been chased for flipping people off before, once for being spat at and other times after almost being egged. It's a sweet life, makes easy runs interesting though!
06/14/2011 5:32:01 PM
User
[quote=IplayRS247]@JackFin yeah thats real talk, but I usually just moon the people that they're funny[/quote] @IplayRS247 Usually the best thing and gets a laugh out of most people. Also the safest. I've sworn off the car kicking and the slaps across the face because I've had a few too many close calls.
IplayRS247 wrote:

@IplayRS247

Usually the best thing and gets a laugh out of most people. Also the safest. I've sworn off the car kicking and the slaps across the face because I've had a few too many close calls.
06/14/2011 6:39:42 PM
User
[quote=DrHeartons]What would it take to make Track and Field as big in Canada and the U.S.as it is in Europe? Track is huge in Europe.UFC is getting bigger here. How do we get the same results for Track and Field?Or is that even possible? Dr.Heartons Peace[/quote] @DrHeartons [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EykGRC_anM]this[/url]
DrHeartons wrote:
What would it take to make Track and Field as big in Canada and the U.S.as it is in Europe?
Track is huge in Europe.UFC is getting bigger here.

How do we get the same results for Track and Field?Or is that even possible?

Dr.Heartons

Peace

@DrHeartons

this
06/14/2011 8:06:12 PM
User
@speedgoggles Speedgoggles you're something else..
06/14/2011 8:08:25 PM
User
@veg602 I like what your input is about this. Soccer was nothing in the U.S. years ago,but now people in the U.S.are beginning to pay attention.Ditto for UFC. Why is that?I think a big part of it is the media.Someone once said"if you control the media,you can control the minds of the public".I can't remember who said that(speedgoggles might )but I agree.The media would play a huge part in building interest in great races.But people would have to work very hard to get that done.It's possible though. You would also have to get some of the big athletic companies like Nike,New Balance,Brooks,Adiddas onboard.They would have to make money or get great publicity or both. You should keep the ticket prices low compared to pro sports.Give out free stuff and have an intermission(NBA style)where you are entertaining the audience .You also have to have really good competition.I don't care how much promotional stuff you hand out,or how cheap the tickets are,people will want to see some great races! Runners work as hard,and in many cases ,harder than athletes in other sports.I would sure like to see them appreciated with big crowds at a great venue! Love to hear more ideas about how this can happen.....Dr.Heartons
@veg602
I like what your input is about this.
Soccer was nothing in the U.S. years ago,but now people in the U.S.are beginning to pay attention.Ditto for UFC.
Why is that?I think a big part of it is the media.Someone once said"if you control the media,you can control the minds of the public".I can't remember who said that(speedgoggles might )but I agree.The media would play a huge part in building interest in great races.But people would have to work very hard to get that done.It's possible though.
You would also have to get some of the big athletic companies like Nike,New Balance,Brooks,Adiddas onboard.They would have to make money or get great publicity or both.
You should keep the ticket prices low compared to pro sports.Give out free stuff and have an intermission(NBA style)where you are entertaining the audience .You also have to have really good competition.I don't care how much promotional stuff you hand out,or how cheap the tickets are,people will want to see some great races!

Runners work as hard,and in many cases ,harder than athletes in other sports.I would sure like to see them appreciated with big crowds at a great venue!

Love to hear more ideas about how this can happen.....Dr.Heartons
06/14/2011 8:40:24 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=gazoo]@veg602 To try and make track big in Canada like it is in the US is like trying to make football bigger than hockey. Track is big in the US because they value 2 things very highly; the military and sports. Of those sports, track and football are the two big sports. It comes down to the culture of the country.[/quote] @gazoo you havent spent mich time in the us have you? Lol Football and track?? The two big sports? Track can hardly even get a blip on sportscenter. In the US it is football, baseball, basketball, hockey.... Golf, tennis... Soccer, several other things. And then track. Actually in the us most pretty much only care about and track only gets press once every four years during the summer games. It is true that we have huge high school track participation. But that has not translated into fan and media support on the college and pro levels. Unfortunately. So we would like to crack that same nut here and get more mainstream love for the sport.
gazoo wrote:
@veg602 To try and make track big in Canada like it is in the US is like trying to make football bigger than hockey. Track is big in the US because they value 2 things very highly; the military and sports. Of those sports, track and football are the two big sports. It comes down to the culture of the country.

@gazoo you havent spent mich time in the us have you? Lol Football and track?? The two big sports? Track can hardly even get a blip on sportscenter.

In the US it is football, baseball, basketball, hockey.... Golf, tennis... Soccer, several other things. And then track. Actually in the us most pretty much only care about and track only gets press once every four years during the summer games.

It is true that we have huge high school track participation. But that has not translated into fan and media support on the college and pro levels. Unfortunately. So we would like to crack that same nut here and get more mainstream love for the sport.
06/14/2011 10:33:05 PM
User
[quote=randomaccount]@speedgoggles Speedgoggles you're something else..[/quote] @randomaccount Ding ding, we have a winner.
randomaccount wrote:

@randomaccount

Ding ding, we have a winner.
06/15/2011 4:36:41 PM
Power User
@jason I think the issue in the US is that it's so big that niche sports like track are quite well supported relative to Canada, just by virtue of numbers.
@jason

I think the issue in the US is that it's so big that niche sports like track are quite well supported relative to Canada, just by virtue of numbers.
06/15/2011 10:16:08 PM
User
[quote=DrHeartons] Runners work as hard,and in many cases ,harder than athletes in other sports[/quote] @DrHeartons Are you high, Buttercup? Maybe as hard, but let's be honest, you're comparing apples to oranges here. There currently is no such thing and never will be any rating system on hard work vs. other types of hard work. Its like someone trying to tell me figure skaters work harder than runners. You can't compare them.. Most sports take roughly 10,000 hours to become an expert at and running is no exception. But then again, I guess red is the best colour because its my favourite. Make the meets short, quick and to the point, like in Europe. Offer beer. Half the exciting events one week, half the next. Scheduled around some large festival weekend in a large city within walking/transit distance.
DrHeartons wrote:

Runners work as hard,and in many cases ,harder than athletes in other sports

@DrHeartons Are you high, Buttercup? Maybe as hard, but let's be honest, you're comparing apples to oranges here. There currently is no such thing and never will be any rating system on hard work vs. other types of hard work. Its like someone trying to tell me figure skaters work harder than runners. You can't compare them.. Most sports take roughly 10,000 hours to become an expert at and running is no exception. But then again, I guess red is the best colour because its my favourite.

Make the meets short, quick and to the point, like in Europe. Offer beer. Half the exciting events one week, half the next. Scheduled around some large festival weekend in a large city within walking/transit distance.
06/16/2011 1:32:33 PM
User
Trying to make track as popular as hockey in Canada or football in the United States is comparing apples to oranges and not feasible. However, the general popularity of the sport can be increased. Usain Bolt has become a household name, which is good for the sport; but track needs more people like Bolt. It doen't necessarily mean matching his performances, but maybe making headlines, stirring controversy. Even Caster Semenya has somewhat made people more interested in track. This is what I suggest: Xtreme Track League (XTL). Here is a preview--->>> http://www.mabinty.com/m-pages/tamsyn_lewis/2_Tamsyn_Lewis_tlb001.jpg A few points about the XTL: 1) 2 seasons per year, indoor November-February, outdoor May-August 2) teams associated with cities, ie Vancouver Stunners, Geneva G-Strings, Hengelo Hooligans, Baltimore Bashers to generate intense rivalries 3) high-profile TV network contracts to show at least one hour per week in seasons 4) 3 intermissions per meet for fans to buy beer,etc. while short kids relay races occur on the track 5) mandatory trash-talking for all competitors before men's events and mandatory cleavage-bearing apparel for women's events to appeal to greater audience 6) pie in face of event winner plus live interviews after each event, uncensored 7) new events: wind-tunnel 100m race to produce insanely fast times, sub-50 400m followed by 2 lap steeple event, water balloons relay; sponsored/marquee events-McDonald's Five Miler, Go Daddy (dot com) Wild Mile, etc. 8) BETTING-why is horse racing popular? voila!
Trying to make track as popular as hockey in Canada or football in the United States is comparing apples to oranges and not feasible. However, the general popularity of the sport can be increased. Usain Bolt has become a household name, which is good for the sport; but track needs more people like Bolt. It doen't necessarily mean matching his performances, but maybe making headlines, stirring controversy. Even Caster Semenya has somewhat made people more interested in track. This is what I suggest: Xtreme Track League (XTL). Here is a preview->> A few points about the XTL:
1) 2 seasons per year, indoor November-February, outdoor May-August
2) teams associated with cities, ie Vancouver Stunners, Geneva G-Strings, Hengelo Hooligans, Baltimore Bashers to generate intense rivalries
3) high-profile TV network contracts to show at least one hour per week in seasons
4) 3 intermissions per meet for fans to buy beer,etc. while short kids relay races occur on the track
5) mandatory trash-talking for all competitors before men's events and mandatory cleavage-bearing apparel for women's events to appeal to greater audience
6) pie in face of event winner plus live interviews after each event, uncensored
7) new events: wind-tunnel 100m race to produce insanely fast times, sub-50 400m followed by 2 lap steeple event, water balloons relay; sponsored/marquee events-McDonald's Five Miler, Go Daddy (dot com) Wild Mile, etc.
8) BETTING-why is horse racing popular? voila!
06/18/2011 8:14:17 PM
User
@gazoo Well hello there Mr Gazoo!I knew that one way or the other,that you absolutely had to get back to me.I said that you would feel compelled to do so,that you would be soooo predictable! And here we are! First of all,I don't get high.Never have. Secondly:"you're comparing apples to oranges here. There currently is no such thing and never will be any rating system on hard work vs. other types of hard work."That's a direct quote from you,and you are wrong. Start with the Sciences.A big part of what scientist do is "comparing apples to oranges."Great discoveries have come from science that started out comparing things that seemingly had nothing to do with each other.Do some research,and you will find this out for yourself.Don't stop with science,there are other professions that are constantly comparing apples to oranges,they have to:lawyers of all types,University professors,homicide investigators ,just to name a few. And it's not just "professionals" who do this stuff,it's also dumb asses like us who do it everyday.When you have a favourite or a preference for anything,whether it's fruit or a car ,song or movie,you arrive at a conclusion by comparing them on some level,and then deciding which you have a preference for.You pick your nose,you have sex,they are totally unrelated,for most people,but you know which one you like better.Do you like burgers or hotdogs better?Totally different,but you know which one you like more.Get it,gazoo?I could go on with this,but I won't at this point.The bottom line is that we all compare apples and oranges everyday. And many runners do work very hard.Look at some of the stories of some of the legendary track athletes.Read the Jim Ryun or Marty Liquori biographies for starters.Athletes know that some athletes work hard and others don't .What's the problem with making that statement? Buttercup:often used by gay men as a term of endearment toward their partner in life. Some of my best friends are gay,and I hope that I have not offended them by educating you. Researchers in Japan have been able to make steak out of human waste!It is prepared by extracting the basic elements of food :proteins,carbohydrates and fats,and combining them.The Japanese term for this meat derived from human waste is called........gazoo When given a blind taste test,the participants described it this way:"smells like shit,taste like shit,what is this stuff?The answer of course :gazoo!!! Let's keep it positive,eh! "offer beer".ok I may not be the brightest bulb in the bunch,but I can still burn! Peace Out......Dr.Heartons
@gazoo Well hello there Mr Gazoo!I knew that one way or the other,that you absolutely had to get back to me.I said that you would feel compelled to do so,that you would be soooo predictable!

And here we are!

First of all,I don't get high.Never have.

Secondly:"you're comparing apples to oranges here. There currently is no such thing and never will be any rating system on hard work vs. other types of hard work."That's a direct quote from you,and you are wrong.

Start with the Sciences.A big part of what scientist do is "comparing apples to oranges."Great discoveries have come from science that started out comparing things that seemingly had nothing to do with each other.Do some research,and you will find this out for yourself.Don't stop with science,there are other professions that are constantly comparing apples to oranges,they have to:lawyers of all types,University professors,homicide investigators ,just to name a few.

And it's not just "professionals" who do this stuff,it's also dumb asses like us who do it everyday.When you have a favourite or a preference for anything,whether it's fruit or a car ,song or movie,you arrive at a conclusion by comparing them on some level,and then deciding which you have a preference for.You pick your nose,you have sex,they are totally unrelated,for most people,but you know which one you like better.Do you like burgers or hotdogs better?Totally different,but you know which one you like more.Get it,gazoo?I could go on with this,but I won't at this point.The bottom line is that we all compare apples and oranges everyday.

And many runners do work very hard.Look at some of the stories of some of the legendary track athletes.Read the Jim Ryun or Marty Liquori biographies for starters.Athletes know that some athletes work hard and others don't .What's the problem with making that statement?

Buttercup:often used by gay men as a term of endearment toward their partner in life.
Some of my best friends are gay,and I hope that I have not offended them by educating you.

Researchers in Japan have been able to make steak out of human waste!It is prepared by extracting the basic elements of food :proteins,carbohydrates and fats,and combining them.The Japanese term for this meat derived from human waste is called........gazoo

When given a blind taste test,the participants described it this way:"smells like shit,taste like shit,what is this stuff?The answer of course :gazoo!!!

Let's keep it positive,eh!

"offer beer".ok

I may not be the brightest bulb in the bunch,but I can still burn!
Peace Out......Dr.Heartons
06/18/2011 9:29:06 PM
User
Here is some of what I would do to make track'bigger'in the U.S. and Canada.And again ,please don't confuse what I am saying.I'm not saying bigger than the other major sports,but just to make track a lot bigger than it is today. First,money.Get sponsors by assuring them that doing this is a worthy investment,and getting in early on this is to their advantage. Second:build interest-create drama-when interest and drama are good enough-it's easier to get the media involved,which is critical-make all of this interesting enough so that the fans will want to see the "drama" unfold in person. Third:one possible location among many(one of my choices because I live nearby and am willing to help)Vancouver:warm summer evening(warm for Vancouver):Small venue (compared to other professional sports)like Swangard Stadium :7pm sharp start till 9:30pm -still daylight Do not have field events going on at the same time as track events.Keep the number of events limited:say 10 Have a short intermission(about 8 minutes) where sponsors can do their thing. Free promotional gear An area to meet some of the athletes. "offer beer" I'm just throwing this stuff out there.I love the sport.Will we ever get it going? All we need is love.......Dr.Heartons
Here is some of what I would do to make track'bigger'in the U.S. and Canada.And again ,please don't confuse what I am saying.I'm not saying bigger than the other major sports,but just to make track a lot bigger than it is today.

First,money.Get sponsors by assuring them that doing this is a worthy investment,and getting in early on this is to their advantage.
Second:build interest-create drama-when interest and drama are good enough-it's easier to get the media involved,which is critical-make all of this interesting enough so that the fans will want to see the "drama" unfold in person.
Third:one possible location among many(one of my choices because I live nearby and am willing to help)Vancouver:warm summer evening(warm for Vancouver):Small venue (compared to other professional sports)like Swangard Stadium :7pm sharp start till 9:30pm -still daylight
Do not have field events going on at the same time as track events.Keep the number of events limited:say 10
Have a short intermission(about 8 minutes) where sponsors can do their thing.
Free promotional gear
An area to meet some of the athletes.
"offer beer"

I'm just throwing this stuff out there.I love the sport.Will we ever get it going?

All we need is love.......Dr.Heartons
06/18/2011 11:27:00 PM
User
@DrHeartons TLDR.
@DrHeartons

TLDR.
06/19/2011 3:03:22 AM
User
@speedgoggles Longer than episode 136? I may not be the brightest bulb in the bunch,but I can still learn! Anything to contribute to the sport of Track and Field? Love is part of the answer ,respect is the other.DrHeartons
@speedgoggles Longer than episode 136?

I may not be the brightest bulb in the bunch,but I can still learn!

Anything to contribute to the sport of Track and Field?

Love is part of the answer ,respect is the other.DrHeartons
06/19/2011 10:17:14 PM
User
@DrHeartons A couple of things... You love it. Yes, [i]I[/i] can't help but reply to [i]you[/i]. It is totally plausible that any given individual (Dean Sanders aside) can put in the 10000 hours or x amount of hours to become a top tier professional (i.e. World Championship, Olympic, World Cup medalist/finalist etc.) in any 2 given sports within their lifetime at the at the most opportune time for each given sport. Anecdotes are also taken as equal to measurable data. Becomeing a pro in one single profession takes exactly the same amount of effort and time for every single person regardless of who they are. Summed up, if someone can make it to the top of a professional sport like hockey and be considered a top tier professional, just as easily be able to the same thing in any sport they try like chess, water polo or gymnastics. Thus, The amount of work deemed necessary for sport A can be measured and compared to sport B.
@DrHeartons A couple of things...

You love it.

Yes, I can't help but reply to you.

It is totally plausible that any given individual (Dean Sanders aside) can put in the 10000 hours or x amount of hours to become a top tier professional (i.e. World Championship, Olympic, World Cup medalist/finalist etc.) in any 2 given sports within their lifetime at the at the most opportune time for each given sport. Anecdotes are also taken as equal to measurable data. Becomeing a pro in one single profession takes exactly the same amount of effort and time for every single person regardless of who they are. Summed up, if someone can make it to the top of a professional sport like hockey and be considered a top tier professional, just as easily be able to the same thing in any sport they try like chess, water polo or gymnastics. Thus, The amount of work deemed necessary for sport A can be measured and compared to sport B.
06/22/2011 12:38:46 PM
User
@speedgoggles This is how I roll! Speedy,you need a little Soul?Or is that you I see at 1:32 in your goggles!? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKMyEcwfT8s&feature=feedrec_grec_index If you can't beat um,FEED UM!!!!Dr.Heartons Peace Out
@speedgoggles This is how I roll!
Speedy,you need a little Soul?Or is that you I see at 1:32 in your goggles!?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKMyEcwfT8s&feature=feedrec_grec_index

If you can't beat um,FEED UM!!!!Dr.Heartons
Peace Out

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.